Comstock opener started off rough

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comstock opener started off rough

Long awaited opening weekend quickly became a not so good one when my dogs decided to wander off from camp within the first 10 mins of arriving. We were offloading the truck and setting up camp..the normal routine and my girlfriend asked if I had put the dogs shock collars on, I said that I hadn’t and matter of fact, where are they? That’s made for a long weekend of searching and night and day between hunts. My girl had a few opportunities to release an arrow but in light of the missing dogs, we just weren’t feeling it.

This all started Friday, we left without the dogs on Tuesday morning. In the interim…I had made contact with the owner of the Continental ranch and he allowed me to search around his place, they have several hounds they hunt lions with over there. He told me they would be back eventually, and to hang a shirt of mine at camp. I did that and left Hanks tracking collar and lead out as well for scent. I also called the local bar and put the word out there. People in West Tx are just good people, and want to help or lend their thoughts, all of which were positive.

It was extremely hard leaving the ranch without them and then telling the kids what happened when we arrived home. They were crushed and we all shed lots of tears.

Me and my best bud Shawn pulled into camp Friday afternoon, out comes Maddie from camp, I couldn’t believe it…then a slow moving Hank presents himself. Man…that feeling is unexplainable. I couldn’t stop thanking God…it took a minute to compose myself and welcome the dogs back. They were covered in mud and thorns and such. Thank God we had received a lot of rain the week prior so there was plenty of water.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0883.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	554.8 KB
ID:	25263311

Name:	IMG_0881.jpg
Size:	560.8 KB
ID:	25263312

Name:	IMG_0888.jpg
Size:	203.4 KB
ID:	25263313

Name:	IMG_0886.jpg
Size:	507.3 KB
ID:	25263314

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love a story with a great ending! I'm sure you were elated when they came dragging out, wondering where the heck you've been.......

Comment

Glad you found them alive and well.

Lesson learned.......

Comment

Good stuff. Glad they came back.

Comment

Glad the pups are back! It is a horrible feeling

Comment

man that would have been tough, glad they are home!

Comment

Wow!!! That’s crazy! Glad they made it through the week.

Comment

No worse feeling.
                Also, no better feeling.

Great outcome.

Comment

You guys are all spot on. Definitely lesson learned and elated feeling to lay eyes on them.

My buddy Shawn hammered that doe and we were able to put them on a short track. Second weekend of bow season was one for the books with Shawn and the dogs coming back.

Comment

Glad you found your pups! I’m amazed at how they always seem to find their way back home.
                    Last edited by Tx.Fisher; 10-15-2021, 12:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by hoythunter02 View Post
                      ...I also called the local bar and put the word out there....
                      I spent a little time in that bar one night during a driving rain storm a few years ago. It's....small.

Comment

Originally posted by cj7zrcool View Post
                        I spent a little time in that bar one night during a driving rain storm a few years ago. It's....small.
                        It's a good spot, the only spot

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

it wasn't their time Ol' Red. glad you got them back.

Comment

awesome to hear, glad everything turned out alright

Comment

Originally posted by hoythunter02 View Post
                              You guys are all spot on. Definitely lesson learned and elated feeling to lay eyes on them.

My buddy Shawn hammered that doe and we were able to put them on a short track. Second weekend of bow season was one for the books with Shawn and the dogs coming back.

I was glad i made that trip bud. Successful on all fronts. Hank didnt look to happy at you though. Lol.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X