Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stand & fill!!!

Comment

I was a die hard winch up feeder guy for years! Never had an accident or had a cable break, but I was lucky. Now I will not EVER AGAIN own a winch up feeder. The stand and fills work as well, are WAY easier to fill and are pretty much fool proof. It is way harder for hogs to dig under the stand and fill designs as opposed to the tripod winch style. Cows are rough on tripod winch style by rubbing against the legs IF you do not have a feeder pen.
      Stand and Fill, the only safe easy way to go!

Comment

Thanks all!!

Comment

Any brands of protein to stay away from, or recommend?

Comment

2 things...

Winch ups aren’t great

Don’t ever buy a 6v feeder

Comment

Spin tech spin plates and The Timer 12v low style are the most popular nowadays
              If you have cows on property build a feeder pen make diameter about 30’ circle

Comment

Originally posted by MIHunter View Post
                Any brands of protein to stay away from, or recommend?

Any protein is better than nothing.

Comment

Stand and fill is the way to go. Much safer and easier to fill. Any cons are outweighed by many pros especially if you fill solo.

No thanks on winch up feeders. 1... I don’t want to have to inspect a cable to stay alive. 2.... their capacity is not enough for the distance I live away from my lease. Couldn’t imagine winching up 600-1000 lbs. Most I have seen are 350lbs only.

Comment

Another part to this question. for those who have a 600lb feeder, my guess is you kick the timer and speeds back during the summer. If so have you had any problems with corn going bad due to humidity or condensation?

Comment

Another part to this question. for those who have a 600lb feeder, my guess is you kick the timer and speeds back during the summer. If so have you had any problems with corn going bad due to humidity or condensation?

We cut them back after season a bit to crank up the protein but they still go off. We used to cut them back to 2 secs per feeding and didn't have any issue with condensation or humidity. We do crank them back up heavier in July. I help take care of and fill 5 -600lbers and no issues.

Comment

Purchased a 1000# stand and fill last season. I would do it all again. Lasts 2 months feeding heavy. Have thought about buying the buccees stand and fill as a 2ns feeder at that location. Will only own stand and fill from now on

Comment

We run a few winch ups but that’s only because areas are prone to 10’ flooding. In the high grounds we are switch to directionals and some stand and fills. The quite feeder we have is awesome as we have it winched up and can’t tell it’s there. Great for the spooky deer not wanting to stand under a feeder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Buy the biggest one you can afford and “stand and fill” is the truth!!

Comment

I have three 1,000 lb Lamco Low and Throw feeders, one 600 lb Lamco, and two 600 lb Bucees EZ feeders. All of these are corn feeder and I’ve never had any issues with them. The corn is just fine even when the timer is turned down.

Comment

Build your own feeder
                                55 gal drum with a good locking lid $30
                                I think asf used to make a barrel band and academy had some “leg brackets” maybe by Remington $30
                                A galvanized funnel and a 3” or 3 1/2” hole saw $30
                                3 galvanized chain link fence posts 6’ long and left alone or cut to desired length $15
                                Asf basic 12v feeder and battery $85
                                $190

Comment

Working...
                                X