A follow up mule deer rifle thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A follow up mule deer rifle thread

This thread is kinda a piggy back on my last one. My dad has offered me his Weatherby Vanguard series 1 in 7 mag. It's the rifle I killed my first WT buck with in 1994.
    I will have to take it to the range to check its accuracy but I'm thinking about what I can do to improve it. I'm trying to decide if I'm going to keep the original wood stock and pillar/glass bed the action or buy a quality synthetic stock for it. What are yalls opinions? How much is a good pillar/glass bedding job?
    Thanks!

hows it shoot as is?

if youre not happy id start with trying different loads/ammo, it may be that easy.

Comment

Shoot it first. May not need to be bedded. Just a different ammo. Never owned a Weatherby that didn't shoot.

Comment

the gun needs nothing but to be sighted in and you are good to go.

Comment

is it a WBY mag or REM mag?
          Regardless the same still applies, shoot and see. try different ammo (140's-175's) before you make major changes to the stock or change it all together.

Comment

All i know is that the internet is hilarious

Comment

It's a Remington

Comment

if youre just wanting to customize it and make it your own then ya, throw it in a new stock then shoot it again. i wouldnt throw away the original as you may want to return it to original condition later on down the road.

i would still run some different ammo down it. see what it likes.

and as far as ammo like whats been stated in your earlier post, theres a ton of options for 7 rem mag.
                and dont be weary of basic stuff. i bought a box of cheap federal power shoks for a 308 i have just as some "just in case" ammo i keep in my bag. ended up shooting a better group than the more expensive shells that i had been using.

my 7 likes barnes ttsx 140s, nice group easy recoil

Comment

Originally posted by TXbowman View Post
                  It's a Remington
                  Your post says it’s a Weatherby vanguard.

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                    Your post says it’s a Weatherby vanguard.
                    Vanguard 7mm Rem. Mag, not a Weatherby Mag.

If you want to hunt with the 7 mag, it’s a killing machine.

I would prefer a new high dollar scope on my pet .270
                    Had both, 7 mag is gone.

Comment

Originally posted by Big pig View Post
                      Vanguard 7mm Rem. Mag, not a Weatherby Mag.

If you want to hunt with the 7 mag, it’s a killing machine.

I would prefer a new high dollar scope on my pet .270
                      Had both, 7 mag is gone.
                      Ah I’m tracking now. 7 rem mag not a 7 Roy.

I’ll take the 7 RM over a 270 alllll day. 180 berger at 3075 is hard to ignore

Comment

Given the choice I would take the 7mm Mag over the 270 for more flexibility. I have always been of the mindset of shooting lighter for caliber bullets because I like more velocity and there are more great performing bullets out there today than there were years ago.

I believe a good 140 gr bullet and the 7mm Mag are a great match and one I would use on anything you said you would hunt here in the lower 48.

Comment

Thanks for all the feedback. I would like to keep it original since it is my dad's. Before I would do anything I was planning try several types of ammo. I was just wondering if it came to having to do something to improve accuracy would it be better to work on the original stock or just get a new one. Just trying to plan for the possibility. Hopefully its still a good shooter.

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                            Ah I’m tracking now. 7 rem mag not a 7 Roy.

I’ll take the 7 RM over a 270 alllll day. 180 berger at 3075 is hard to ignore
                            you would have to have a 28" barrel min to achieve these velocities

Comment

Originally posted by txtrophy85 View Post
                              you would have to have a 28" barrel min to achieve these velocities
                              In a 7 rem mag?

Comment

Working...
                              X