Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

your weirdest encounter while in the stand?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

your weirdest encounter while in the stand?

I want to know whats the weirdest or best thing that has happened while in your stand!! It can be an animal that you never thought would ever come out at your spot or can be you watching border patrol chase some illegals through your shooting lane like I did.

Dad and I were turkey hunting one time in Roosevelt and had illegals come walking by within 20 yards of us. We never moved....

Comment

Had a hawk land in the same tree I was in about 3 feet away.Almost got a picture of it.

DJ

Comment

a tresspasser climbing up my tripod in the dark....with me in it.

Comment

Had an owl land on the window ledge about 2 ft from my face, scared the **** out of both of us.

Comment

Originally posted by DJM View Post
            Had a hawk land in the same tree I was in about 3 feet away.Almost got a picture of it.

DJ
            Had the same happen to me, was pretty cool.

Was hunting out of a 2 man lean to. Had a squirrel jump in the seat next to me.

Comment

I had a tripod (14ft) that i draped camo army netting with for concealment and just had a slit to climb through (Rifle Hunting). Opening morning well before light, i climbed up and put my head through slit only to find a wasp nest. Don't know how many times I was stung but I remember it hurt and ruined my day.

On an invite hunt in Webb county. Getting good and daylight (in blind by myself) when I had some "visitors " walking up the sendero. No problem, seen them before. Only this time they walked completely up to the blind and started beating on the legs of the blind. Didn't know what exactly to do, except lock door and grab pistol. Didn't say anything to them hoping they would think no one was in blind. They eventually left, only to do the same to a buddy about a mile from me.

Comment

Watched 3 copperheads wrestle for about an hour. Finally climbed out the tree and took a switch to them. All 3 were huge. One of those times i wished i had a video cam or just a camera with me.

Comment

Watched and heard a yote tearing through the brush chasing, what I think, was a wounded hawk. The hawk was crashing brush about 4 ' off the ground all the while this yote was right on his tail.

Comment

I had a friend hunting with me a couple of years ago. We see a hawk swoop into my feed pen wide open and assumed he would swoop upward over the blind. Wrong. Slammed into the side of the blind and was momentarily on the ground dazed before flying off. My friend said "I need to go to camp and get some clean underwear"....

Last season, I stepped out of the blind and had a large stalking bobcat 3 feet away, and we both froze. I flinched first and slammed the door. He was gone when I opened the door again.

Comment

In a full gilli suit with face mask and head net, I had a wren land on my back, then on my cap. I saw him look down at my face then he tried to fly into one of my eye holes. Of course I jumped and he flew off. About 10 minutes later he was back on my cap again and I threw my arms up, climbed down and left (late in the morning anyways.)

Comment

Dove hunting on my own property with a buddy of mine. Just over 200 acres. We're on one of the stock tanks and this kid (15-18 yo) comes be-bopping across the pasture. He gets close to us, I approach him (shotgun in hand):

Me - May I help you?
                        Kid - Nope. Just headed home
                        Me - You know this is private property, don't you?
                        Kid - I have permission from the landowner to take a shortcut across his land.
                        Me - Really?! Who's the landowner?
                        Kid - Some random name
                        Me - Wrong! I own this property and I never gave you permission. I don't even know who you are. Now get off my property. It's dangerous around here during hunting season!

Kid leaves through the main gate to the North.

Two minutes later, here comes a police office in his cruiser driving right at us from the same gate the kid illegally came through. Stops and asks if we've seen some kid come through. I told him "Yes. He came through the same closed/chained gate with a No Trespassing sign on it that you just came through. You make a habit of just crossing anybody's land when you feel like it?" Officer said not usually, but that he was trying to find the kid because he was off his meds or something and his mom was worried he might do something weird or have convulsions or get lost, something like that. Then he apologized and said he'd call me next time he was coming through the gate.

I pointed the direction the kid exited and Mr. PoPo went the same way. Don't know if he ever found the kid, but we did bag a few dove.

I should probably mention this was a really small town in Northeast Texas and ALL the police, sheriffs, and troopers were friends of mine, so I knew the LEO, but still had to bust his chops.

Comment

Lots of good ones some I'm sure I have forgotten. Owl landing a foot next to my head, squirrel run across me in the tree stand, a couple of times had a copper head and a coral snake crawl under the side of a pop up and get in the blind with me, had a pheasant walk by me in Lavaca county sitting in the stand.

Comment

Wasn't at the stand but at the camphouse. Border patrol has a right of way through the lease and we will occasionally see them come through. Anyway I had gone out that morning one summer and had already killed something and had it in the freezer. Everybody else was still out so I decided to lay out and get some sun. Was enjoying the sun and some quiet time when up came the border patrol. The look on their face was priceless.....guess they weren't expecting to see a bikini wearing pistol packing female.......hahahaha

Comment

Originally posted by Kenner97 View Post
                              I had a tripod (14ft) that i draped camo army netting with for concealment and just had a slit to climb through (Rifle Hunting). Opening morning well before light, i climbed up and put my head through slit only to find a wasp nest. Don't know how many times I was stung but I remember it hurt and ruined my day.

On an invite hunt in Webb county. Getting good and daylight (in blind by myself) when I had some "visitors " walking up the sendero. No problem, seen them before. Only this time they walked completely up to the blind and started beating on the legs of the blind. Didn't know what exactly to do, except lock door and grab pistol. Didn't say anything to them hoping they would think no one was in blind. They eventually left, only to do the same to a buddy about a mile from me.
                              that's a no go for me if they started doing that i would've told them to stop. if they tried anything funny then that would've been a 40 cal to the chest. there isn't any reason for them to be out where I'm hunting so if they try to hurt me I'm pretty sure i would not have to much heat from the law if i opened fire.

Comment

Working...
                              X