Jeep Won’t Start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jeep Won’t Start

I got in the Jeep couple days ago and it wouldn’t turn over. Acted like a dead battery. Put it on the charger for 24 hours. Cleaned up the terminals. The charger acted a little funny showing full charge then dropping down to 75% charge. Tried to start it again and still got nothing. Pulled out the jumper cables and tried to jumpstart it. Still wouldn’t turn over and got nothing but a very fast clicking sound (solenoid?). This makes me think there is something else going on like a bad starter. Thoughts?

Bad ground connection. Could very well be at the frame.

Comment

If you are sure you have a good connection, your battery may be dead. 24 hrs on a charger is a long time unless you did a 2amp trickle charge. Batteries these days just seem to go dead quick with no fore warning.

Comment

battery, ours did the same thing this summer.

Comment

Change the batt out and try again.

Comment

Most likely battery. May be showing 12 voltso but if low or no amps it's a no go.

Comment

What year is your jeep?

Comment

I have a 95 GC 4.0L. Battery was giving me fits wouldn’t hold a charge very long. Found the security system was a parasitic draw causing a dead cell in battery. Pulled all fuses for the system no more draw and new battery. But still wouldn’t start. Found out the compositors in the ECM go bad so replacing them today. This is supposed to fix the hard to start problem.

I’d start with having the battery/alternator checked.

“There's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.” -Fred Bear-

Comment

I would replace the battery before going much further.

Comment

Pull the battery have interstate , Walmart etc check the battery. Sound like the battery you will know in a few minutes. Do you know how old the battery is. If it's over 3 it probably needs replacing anyways with winter coming on.

Comment

Have you tried hitting it?

Comment

It's a 2005 TJ. I replaced the battery about a year and a half ago. It sat for about 10 days without being started and we did have that little cold snap.

I'll pull the battery and have it checked.

Comment

Originally posted by TreyRo View Post
                          Have you tried hitting it?
                          I cussed at it and kicked a tire. Does that count?

If you're talking about tapping on the starter...no, I didn't try that. Once I pull and check/replace the battery that may be the next step.

Comment

Before you do that. Try pulling out and putting back in the security fob under the steering column.

Comment

Originally posted by Mambajeep View Post
                              Before you do that. Try pulling out and putting back in the security fob under the steering column.
                              Didn't know I had one of those. I'll have to look. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X