Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dusty Britches View Post
    Yes.

Hunters have not kept the wild hogs in check.

Non-native species tend to overwhelm and dominate native species. (Think snakes in the everglades.)

I know of no examples where exotics and natives co-exist and thrive alongside of each other.

Hogs are not nearly sought after by hunters like Exotics are. Hogs also reproduce at a much higher rate. If it truly becomes a problem then landowners will make exotic hunts cheaper and hunter will line up to get them.

A hog can have 40 pigs in two years time vs and Axis having maybe 3
    Last edited by AntlerCollector; 01-25-2019, 03:44 PM.

Comment

I bet TPWD does something like make them game animals with seasons and antler restrictions

Comment

I don't think recreational hunting can control free range populations of exotics on private land in Texas.

Comment

Originally posted by Tx-Burt View Post
          This was an interesting article, surprised this issue hasn't been discussed more. I guess people like their exotics.

We've noticed a difference in whitetail's more and more each year that we see the Axis on our place. 1 the whitetail don't like the groups of axis coming through. They take off like they're scared or spooked by them, they usually come back after the herds leave. If its just one or two axis they tolerate them more and even eat together. 2 The axis don't come to corn all the time. I've shot most of them grazing on forbs and winter grass under the trees and brush. 3 when they come to the feeders they seem to scare the deer off the corn, but don't eat it, (got some trail cam pics this year)

Sometimes we see herds of 50 or more. The Rancher showed us pictures of 100's in his fields. His Grandson has shot over 60 this year. Ridiculous ! Told him to go shoot 1 or 2 for us when we come up.

The Biologist estimated a herd in Blumenthall to be 4000 this year.
          We hunt between Fredricksburg and Stonewall in Gillespie county along the Pedernales River.

Never thought it would cause that big of an issue with the deer population though. Quite interesting. Time will tell
          One of the places we hunt is very near you! We need to meet at the firehouse or Rodney's for a beer sometime.

Comment

Not even a little

Comment

Originally posted by El General View Post
              I don't think recreational hunting can control free range populations of exotics on private land in Texas.
              It could if greed didn't get in the way. We have a serious hog epidemic and you still have to pay to hunt them in most places.

Comment

Pic of them pushing the deer off.

Have several where the walking in the woods behind feeder and the deer taking off
                Attached Files

Comment

Exotics are not quite as elusive as hogs
                  A full sized axis buck - especially in the daytime - is a worthy challenge. I'm pretty sure they can hear the hum of an ozonics, which is unfortunate, because they seem to be able to smell you from a mile away. Perhaps the high fenced livestock are more docile, but wild, low-fenced, axis are the real deal.

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty Britches View Post
                    Yes.

Hunters have not kept the wild hogs in check.

Non-native species tend to overwhelm and dominate native species. (Think snakes in the everglades.)

I know of no examples where exotics and natives co-exist and thrive alongside of each other.
                    This

Comment

I was on a place where it was hard to kill a whitetail. I saw axis, sika, hogs every sit. Whitetail about every other until one of the above showed up. It was fun- lots of fun- place was sold or I’d still be there. Only thing that beat them all out were turkeys.

Comment

Originally posted by Balcones_Walker View Post
                        A full sized axis buck - especially in the daytime - is a worthy challenge. I'm pretty sure they can hear the hum of an ozonics, which is unfortunate, because they seem to be able to smell you from a mile away. Perhaps the high fenced livestock are more docile, but wild, low-fenced, axis are the real deal.
                        Our place is low fenced and we shot several this year just riding around. I guess it just depends on how much pressure they have. This is the first year our landowner has recognized we need to thin the heard..

Comment

Not sure they'll replace or wipe out the native whitetail, however I do believe they'll have a negative impact on the quality of the herd itself. Since they compete for nearly all of the same food sources, the availability of browse diminishes … which in turn means they won't get the same amount of nutrients as before.

Just my .02

Comment

I Can see how that could be the case. I have three hill country leases, two of witch, I lease for the axis. I Usually have Axis out the wazoo on those two places. I have never seen a mature whitetail buck score better than 100-115. They are just poor, I have food plots and I supplement protein and corn. I see whitetail eating and mixing it up with the axis every sit. I think for those areas the whitetail genetics just suck. The other hill country spot, I have only seen axis a couple times in 11 years and the whitetail are some of the best around for hill country. The smallest of four Mature bucks taken was 128" and the largest was just under 140 " It could be just a pocket of deer with great genetics?

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                              Hogs are not nearly sought after by hunters like Exotics are. Hogs also reproduce at a much higher rate. If it truly becomes a problem then landowners will make exotic hunts cheaper and hunter will line up to get them.

A hog can have 40 pigs in two years time vs and Axis having maybe 3
                              That's why those hog hunts are so cheap huh ? Exotics may be sought after, but between the seeking and the killing a bunch of $ have to change hands. Not everybody can afford a $2500/$3500 axis hunt. I see leases advertised on here all the time that limit exotics to one per year per member. At one time everyone wanted hogs, now many, many people wish they'd never seen them. Start shooting exotics wholesale and see if they don't go nocturnal. TBH hog thread had over 2,000 killed last year if memory serves and it didn't make a dent. Be careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

Comment

Exotics will run off white-tail deer....seen it happen to some good ranches….the problem with exotics when times are bad and white-tails don't have enough to eat, exotics can keep eating other stuff like goats will do...

Comment

Working...
                                X