Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody here hunt in Davy Crockett National Forest?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anybody here hunt in Davy Crockett National Forest?

Lost my place to hunt just before bow season last year due to it being sold and did not hunt last and so far not this year. Live right here in Houston County and have not hunted the National Forest since the early 90's. Keep hearing horror stories about hunting there now days, from being walked up on by the city boys to the methheads trying to steal everything.
    Anybody have any advice on where to go to get away from the crowds and the thieves? Would just like to see some deer in the woods!
    Grits

If someone posted about a secret place to get away from the crowds and see some deer then it wouldn't be a secret anymore would it?

Comment

I hunted there in the 90's for 3 days. Got lost in that thick stuff. I had fun and often think about going back for a few days......with a GPS. I think it has to be much better than not hunting at all.

Comment

I enjoy it, I go every year a couple of times. It's not easy hunting by any means but it is rewarding. Good luck

Comment

Everything you described has been happening there to some degree since the dawn of time. Strap up your boots, put on your pack and go hunt. It’s all about what you make of it, harvest or not, just have fun.

Comment

We hunted there many years ago and never really saw any other hunters. But, it was after opening weekend and we're City Boys.........

Comment

AgHntr10 not asking for anybody's secret place, just a general area that the crowds don't go.
              Gig'em Class of '79
              Grits

Comment

Go drive around find a likely looking area and put your boots on and go scout. Don’t expect it to be easy and expect to work your *** off for any deer you get. However if you put the time and effort in there are some big deer out there. As far as areas people don’t go just look for areas that don’t have a lot of littering/tire tracks where people are pulling off the road. Don’t expect anyone to share much info pretty much gotta figure the good stuff out yourself.

Comment

Thanksgiving week is not a good week to go. Way too many hunters. Any other time is good. I used to hunt it a lot near Groveton. And, I will be hunting it again near my property.
                  I saw a lot of good deer in there.

Comment

A little advise I use when scouting any of the national forest around here. Go on a Saturday morning and drive all the roads you are interested in and bring a map with you. Mark all the spots where other hunters are parked. You will quickly see where there crowds are are where to go to get away from them. If a spot looks easy to get to from the road, it probably gets hunted a lot.

Comment

Davy Crockett is what caused my dad to get us into bow hunting 30 years ago. I will never forget the smell of those pines or the sound of that wind howling through them. I will also never forget the sound of two men yelling at one another and shooting rounds above one another because they felt one was there first or hunters walking through the woods yelling because they were lost. Cool place but opening weekend or Thanksgiving are for the birds. No thanks.

Comment

Find a spot and go about 1000 yards past the last human footprint you see. THEN start looking. There is no shortage of deer there, and some good ones too, but they are in there where the faint of heart will not put forth the effort to go.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                          X