Help with social sercurity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with social sercurity

I'm trying to take care of Alecia's affairs and have a question on her SS. I've been on hold on the phone for over an hour and gave up. Before I make an appointment at the SS office, I need to know what info I need to have. I won't have death certificate for a couple of weeks. Trying to get get survivor benefits. Thanks. All this crap is frustrating as hell.

Pretty sure you're wasting your time til you get the death certificate Randy.

Comment

You gotta have the DC and her social card or number. Obviously your I d as well. Possibly even marriage certificate. My wife has to send a copy of or marriage certificate to renew me on her insurance. So I would take e everything I could get my hands on. And google it as well or go to ssi website to the faq section. You may be able to receive her benefits as well. Gods got this Randy, regardiof how tough it is. Keep looking up brother.

Comment

You are right to make an appointment if they let you do that. I had to get there and wait to get in, then take a number and wait.
        You won't be able to get anything done until you have the death certificate and her SS# proof.
        Also, I would request the funeral home to get 5-6 copies of the certificate for you as it seems that anybody and everybody will need one for all transactions. Save you some extra trips to the courthouse.

Comment

This page lists the types of survivors benefits available if you are the survivor.

Comment

Originally posted by Pstraw View Post
            You are right to make an appointment if they let you do that. I had to get there and wait to get in, then take a number and wait.
            You won't be able to get anything done until you have the death certificate and her SS# proof.
            Also, I would request the funeral home to get 5-6 copies of the certificate for you as it seems that anybody and everybody will need one for all transactions. Save you some extra trips to the courthouse.
            Get 10 + copy’s of the DC , they seem to be needed by everyone,
            Insurance, SS , ect
            It’s amazing how much paper work stuff requires

Comment

I'm no help with ss. But it stinks you have to mess with all this on top of everything else. Good luck wish you the best.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
                Pretty sure you're wasting your time til you get the death certificate Randy.
                I've figured that out. Just gonna have to wait.
                Originally posted by Pstraw View Post
                Getting 10 copies.

Originally posted by S-3 Ranch View Post
                Get 10 + copy’s of the DC , they seem to be needed by everyone,
                Insurance, SS , ect
                It’s amazing how much paper work stuff requires
                Yep. This is stupid!

I called the funeral home to see if they report the death to SS and they did. thats a start. I'll wait on the DC to take care of stuff. I called the ompany that Alecia has life insurance with. They told me to call our HR dept at work, they gave me another number to call, talked to them and was told to call another number after Friday. I'm about ready to hurt somebody!

Comment

You can go ahead & call & cease it to avoid payment after death & having to reimburse. You can verbally relay death date without having certificate at least to stop payment
                  However they may request you fax death cert once received

Comment

I hate to even bring this up, but, don’t be surprised if you have to reimburse them the last month’s benefits. This happened to my buddy, his wife got her check on the second Wednesday and she passed that following Monday and he had to write them a check for that whole month of benefits.
                    It ain’t right but it IS the gubment.
                    Keeping you in my prayers Brother.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Yes on the reimbursement. I had to do that. And I got 10 copies of D C.

Comment

When dealing with SS if you have trouble contact your congressman they can get things done in a hurry for you. SS offices are notoriously slow and lazy.

Comment

I went to the Temple office this morning for a completely different reason. I showed up and there was a long line outside and almost left. In the end I was there only an hour. You probably don’t need an appointment ( I didn’t ) and no one asked about an appointment. What ever documents are listed as required online you better have them in hand when you get there. They almost sent me home. And don’t call because I did that for three days before I just showed up and no one ever answered the phone

Comment

Sorry for you loss again, as a Texas Funeral Director, you can't do anything without a DC. Always order a couple extra, you might need it for something down the road and you won't have to go thru the trouble of doing it again. Also, by law, they have 10 business days to have it filed.

Comment

The funeral home handled all that for my step-mom, but I will tell you the whole thing is a big circle jerk. She had just started to draw her SS. I think this was her second check. The dates fell so that they said it needed to be reimbursed. So the executor of her estate sent them a check back. Then they said that her children could claim the check because she was entitled to it.

The executor gave me the paperwork to send in, two weeks ago.
                              It had to be returned within 5 days. She died last September.
                              I'm sure they'll tell me tough luck when I send it in.

Comment

Working...
                              X