Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

is there asbestos in this flooring? (see pic)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

is there asbestos in this flooring? (see pic)

hey yall. i'm in the middle of replacing the flooring in the house and i've gotten to the point where i'm ready to tear out the sheet flooring in the kitchen. it used to be carpet transitioned to sheet vinyl, but when i'm done i'm hoping to have all luxury vinyl plank throughout.

As it is now there are two layers of sheet flooring, then some kind of an adhesive from the bottom layer directly onto the concrete. the house was originally built in 1985 in unincorporated denton county, and according to the appraisal district there was a remodel done in 95. i purchased the house after the previous owner died and his heirs didn't know much about the house so the seller's disclosure, even though it says no asbestos, isn't reliable.

do any of yall see anything of concern? i have no experience with this stuff, but from what i've heard and read, if the mastic is not black it likely doesn't contain asbestos. but at the same time i read that the sheet flooring in the 70s & 80s would sometimes have paper backing that contained asbestos. I've attached the pics in a larger format to help see details that may or may not be important.

thanks in advance.
    Attached Files

I would be safe and assume it does. Stopped using it in flooring around 86 and in the adhesive early 90's per google.

Comment

I would have never even considered that as a possibility and just got to work. Not saying it is right but stripped plenty of that glue down stuff.

Comment

Probably safe but you can get a test kit to have it checked. Gotta send it off and it seems it took a week or two. We did it on blown in insulation from the 50s and it turned out OK. Can get it at Her me Depot and probably others as well.

Comment

As long as it's not creating dust you will be fine.

Comment

The black mastic is usually hot when tested. If its the white or yellow glue you should be go to go.

Comment

good to go.

Comment

Normally the black adhesive in old flooring is a good indicator of asbestos. Wear a mask keep the dust down and your gtg

Comment

Originally posted by Mission408 View Post
                  Normally the black adhesive in old flooring is a good indicator of asbestos. Wear a mask keep the dust down and your gtg
                  I’m so skrewd!

Comment

Just take it up. It was in everything back in the day. Like said dont create dust you'll be fine

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Remove them in huge pieces to reduce any dust, but you are good to go

Comment

You can get a spray bottle of water and wet it. This will keep the asbestos from becoming airborne

Comment

it sounds like the consensus is that it's not impossible that asbestos could be there, but more likely than not it's not there. but just in case it is there i should spray the underside of the sheet flooring as i remove it to prevent dust from forming. Right?

as for removing the existing sheet flooring, do i just peel it up or do i have to scrap it? in just the little part i pulled back and cut out to get to the spalls in the concrete (from the carpet transition piece) it seems easy enough to peel.

Comment

Most of the time black mastic, like said.

Comment

Just pull it up and throw it in the dumpster. You are overthinking.

Comment

Working...
                              X