No announcement yet.

Trapping season 2021-2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BT like the old saying goes, it’s always better to be lucky than good. Congratulations either way!

Comment

Got my 2nd one this morning

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6738.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	244.8 KB
ID:	24673813

Comment

Got this fella a week or two back . Got him in a live trap .

Comment

Fixing to start trapping yotes serious or the first time. What lures have y’all had success with. I have some widow maker on order and also some Cavan gland lure and also coyote urine. Any other suggestions on lures / baits. Trapping around the Dayton/Cleveland area using mostly dirt hole sets and pipe dream sets. Might set a few snares as well.
          Last edited by sharkhunter; 01-09-2022, 11:21 PM.

Comment

Sharkhunter the products you mentioned are solid. I would add some Russ Carmen’s canine call to that list. I think most people put too much emphasis on bait while trapping, there no magic baits out there that will make every coyote dance around your set until it steps on your trap. A good scent free well beded trap in the correct configuration makes up 95% of the equation, with 5% being the bait/lure. This time of the year flat sets are really good. Good luck, hope you put a hurting on them.

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
              Got my 2nd one this morning

[ATTACH]1076715[/ATTACH]
              BT pretty work. I gotta ask how do you catch ‘em by the back right foot like that? Is that your signature move?

Comment

Originally posted by Trapper76 View Post
                BT pretty work. I gotta ask how do you catch ‘em by the back right foot like that? Is that your signature move?
                Well I dang sure am not trying to

These coyotes at the house do all kinds of things against the norm.
                I put a game cam set to video over a few sets just so I could see what was going on.
                The last one I reset in the catch circle with a T-bone with a horseshoe of raked up duff guarding it and that rotted piece of crosstie on the outside edge of it.
                Mr coyote comes in and steps over crosstie, sniffs around and lifts his leg to pee on the T-bone or duff and video ends and next one starts with him caught and trying to get out

The first one I had video of him coming in, straddling the crosstie parralell and peeing on it instead of peeing on it from the end like he was supposed to

I would love to catch them by a front foot but I will tke their chicken killing and deer chasing tails by any way I can

Comment

Well I dang sure am not trying to

These coyotes at the house do all kinds of things against the norm.
                  I put a game cam set to video over a few sets just so I could see what was going on.
                  The last one I reset in the catch circle with a T-bone with a horseshoe of raked up duff guarding it and that rotted piece of crosstie on the outside edge of it.
                  Mr coyote comes in and steps over crosstie, sniffs around and lifts his leg to pee on the T-bone or duff and video ends and next one starts with him caught and trying to get out

The first one I had video of him coming in, straddling the crosstie parralell and peeing on it instead of peeing on it from the end like he was supposed to

I would love to catch them by a front foot but I will tke their chicken killing and deer chasing tails by any way I can

BT I was just kidding of course, like you I’ll take them anyway I can get em. I’ve operated a commercial predator control business for the last 11yrs and come across some Wiley old deer killers that cost me sleep at night.

Comment

I have a cat that is outsmarting me. I have caught a bunch of yotes and even a red fox but I can not catch this cat. It has killed 5 of my fawns out of the pen already. Last night it drug the 45-50 lb fawn out of the pen and almost all the way through my fallow buck pen. It was probably 120 yards or so. I have a few cameras set up near the carcass and a few new traps set. 6 coyotes for the month but just need that one cat !

Comment

Originally posted by Trapper76 View Post
                      BT I was just kidding of course, like you I’ll take them anyway I can get em. I’ve operated a commercial predator control business for the last 11yrs and come across some Wiley old deer killers that cost me sleep at night.
                      I figured you were kidding.

Originally posted by cantexduck View Post
                      I have a cat that is outsmarting me. I have caught a bunch of yotes and even a red fox but I can not catch this cat. It has killed 5 of my fawns out of the pen already. Last night it drug the 45-50 lb fawn out of the pen and almost all the way through my fallow buck pen. It was probably 120 yards or so. I have a few cameras set up near the carcass and a few new traps set. 6 coyotes for the month but just need that one cat !
                      Hope you catch that cat, getting expensive it sounds like.

Comment

Originally posted by cantexduck View Post
                        That bobcat will be hard to catch, the reason being because it’s targeting fawns and they are hard to use as bait. Cats generally travel the same trail to a hunting area. My advice would be to locate that trail and set for it there. Bobcats can be hard to get their attention so you have to use big attractors like duck/geese wings or Christmas tinsel to get them to your set. Good Luck!

Comment

Took nearly a month but I think my "digger" finally made a mistake
                          Weight minus 3# gambrel put him at 44#
                          [ATTACH]1076250[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1076251[/ATTACH]
                          Good job!
                          Biggun.

Comment

Red Fox

Originally posted by Btoutdoors View Post
                            I am about to get started making the rounds.
                            Are you still getting a lot of reds out there? I've been wanting to shoot a red with my bow forever.

Comment

We're finally going to put some more sets out in a week or so, spouse is taking time from work.
                              Our coyotes will be too rubbed for good money but we'll still target some.
                              Bobcats will be out main quarry, price is still ok on them for us.

Coyote pee works well instead of bait too.

Nice cat Strummer !

Comment

Originally posted by donpablo View Post
                                Are you still getting a lot of reds out there? I've been wanting to shoot a red with my bow forever.
                                There are still some reds around. I don't think they are as wide spread as they were though. I haven't caught one so far this year.

Comment

Working...
                                X