The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by G Posik View Post
    a3d - nice group there. With shooting like that you are good to go! What unit are you hunting this year?

TWP as far as arrows/broadheads I will be shooting FMJ's with 210 gr Silver Flames for a total weight of 700 gr.

Glenn
    Will be OTC in Colorado for archery elk, didn't draw the mule deer tag I wanted but may take a leftover if I see something I like.

Then the option of going to Idaho for OTC elk, then South Dakota for OTC mule deer.....then permanent move to Colorado and find a job after hunting season.
    Hopefully...

Comment

I getting everything together for my hunt and went ahead and treated myself to a early fathersday and picked up a new Montbell UL bag. It is so light and thin it does not feel right.

Comment

Originally posted by Kolpin10 View Post
        I getting everything together for my hunt and went ahead and treated myself to a early fathersday and picked up a new Montbell UL bag. It is so light and thin it does not feel right.
        Very interested in that bag as well. Are you a big guy? Regular mummy bags are very uncomfortable because I have wide shoulders. The stretch is what appeals to me. Will be interested to hear a review. What temp did you get...#1, 15degree?

Comment

Originally posted by drthornton View Post
          Very interested in that bag as well. Are you a big guy? Regular mummy bags are very uncomfortable because I have wide shoulders. The stretch is what appeals to me. Will be interested to hear a review. What temp did you get...#1, 15degree?
          I bought the UL Super Spiral #1. I am average size but it is very comfortable it has a lot of strech to it. A friend of mine bought a standard a couple of years ago and swears by it.
          There is an internet camping supply buisness that has a warehouse in San Antonio (MoonTrail), I went by and they pulled it out and spread it out so I could try it before I bought it. I hated to spend that much but I hate to sleep cold even more. It is warm enough you do stay in it long right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Kolpin10 View Post
            I bought the UL Super Spiral #1. I am average size but it is very comfortable it has a lot of strech to it. A friend of mine bought a standard a couple of years ago and swears by it.
            There is an internet camping supply buisness that has a warehouse in San Antonio (MoonTrail), I went by and they pulled it out and spread it out so I could try it before I bought it. I hated to spend that much but I hate to sleep cold even more. It is warm enough you do stay in it long right now.
            yeah Moontrail has the best pricing on those bags right now but for internet purchases you have to consider taxes as well. Good to hear they have a reputable business. Give us a review after season.

Comment

Packed up everything I will carry on an elk hunt, minus game bags, and am heading up to Colorado this weekend for a scouting trip. Learn some more country and terrain and try out some new gear.
              Including a Nikon D80 camera with 70-300mm lens, which I normally would not be carrying. Puts pack weight at 40 lbs. To stay 5 days I would just add more food.

I'll post some pics when I get back.

Comment

Did first heavy bag ruck yesterday, dang shins weren't ready for the boots. ha ha ha Great 3 miles with about 35lbs, will add weight each week. Doing my heavy weights and crossfit stuff in the heat around 6pm and then do rucks in the dark after the kids go down for the night. Think I'm going to go super light and just above reckless this year. Our OTC unit is not far from town so I think we can get away with it. Going to bivy the entire time and (try to) put the elk to bed each night. We shall see. New Stalker Recurve should be in with enough time to practice, if not, the Sarrels will be coming with me.

Comment

[ame="http://vimeo.com/30883590"]Immersion on Vimeo[/ame]

[ame="http://vimeo.com/15902536"]'Manti Wapiti' Slideshow by F2 on Vimeo[/ame]

Posted these before, but figured we needed some Monday videos. Just because they are so awesome!

Comment

Its been almost 10 years since ive been able to go, and I miss it bad! Hopefully, things will work out and I can go this next year. We also prepped with lots of cardio exercise. Running, and running bleachers with a weighted pack. We'd also work upper body strength as well.

Comment

Originally posted by TWP View Post
                      Immersion on Vimeo

'Manti Wapiti' Slideshow by F2 on Vimeo

Posted these before, but figured we needed some Monday videos. Just because they are so awesome!
                      A cruel thing to do to a man with no tag. YET!

Comment

What do you guys do about food and water when packing in? I've done it once but I need some help. I'm new to western hunting and everything from bears to food to finding a dang elk is intimidating to me especially when I'm trying to make the most of my time and money spent.

Comment

Originally posted by Vampire View Post
                          What do you guys do about food and water when packing in? I've done it once but I need some help. I'm new to western hunting and everything from bears to food to finding a dang elk is intimidating to me especially when I'm trying to make the most of my time and money spent.
                          Katadyn hiker pro filters water, using a "source" brand 3 liter hydration bladder and using a jetboil flash cook stove to prepare mountain house dehydrated meals.
                          Throw in some trail mix and jerky and you can live for weeks without anything else.

Comment

Haha right on. Do you ever stay by high country lakes and eat trout or anything or is that a waste of time?

Comment

Originally posted by Vampire View Post
                              Haha right on. Do you ever stay by high country lakes and eat trout or anything or is that a waste of time?
                              Nice in theory, but I never have enough time to fish.
                              That is for the times when hunting season is closed, like this weekend. I have a fly rod I'm packing and a small spinning rod that is collapsable as well.

Comment

I hate pumping water. I have had problems with pumps, I just use iodine tabs. Some folks can't stand the taste though.

I would take a rod if I got to hunt for a month, but with only a week I'm only worried about elk.

Vampire, grab Cam Hanes' book "Backcountry Bowhunting" and it will help you out a ton.

Comment

Working...
                                X