No announcement yet.

Flying with firearms question???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unfortunately, it doesn't matter what you prefer. If you dont have TSA approved locks on your case, its not making the flight. This is from experience. I've flown alot with firearms. The easiest is ammo in your checked bag and firearm cased by itself. I'll often pack clothes in my gun case to further pad it and get more gear to the destination. its a straight forward process. You'll check it at the desk, open it for them, sign an affidavit that goes into the case with the firearm, lock it in front of them and then it goes on its merry way. at baggage claim, it'll come off separately and each airport will have them walk it to oversize and hand it to you.

Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by roadgoeson20 View Post
      Unfortunately, it doesn't matter what you prefer. If you dont have TSA approved locks on your case, its not making the flight. This is from experience. I've flown alot with firearms. The easiest is ammo in your checked bag and firearm cased by itself. I'll often pack clothes in my gun case to further pad it and get more gear to the destination. its a straight forward process. You'll check it at the desk, open it for them, sign an affidavit that goes into the case with the firearm, lock it in front of them and then it goes on its merry way. at baggage claim, it'll come off separately and each airport will have them walk it to oversize and hand it to you.

Good luck
      This has been our experience. Except for the TSA locks. We carry them just in case but the standard locks on the case has been fine. 4 boxes of ammo in checked bag without locks.

And as mentioned it gets easier. My 19 year old son checks and flys with a shotgun alone 3-4 times a year

Comment

Originally posted by RLUM View Post
        Do not use TSA locks on your gun case. Pretty sure ammo can be in the same case as the firearm when flying in the US. Some airlines require you to let them know before you check in.
        This. DO NOT USE TSA LOCKS. Otherwise any TSA personnel can get into your gun case, at any time, without your knowledge.

Ammo, original case, is fine.

Comment

You can put as many guns in a case as you can fit. Ammo can go in original box or any other aftermarket ammo case. I reload and just save a factory box and put ammo into factory box inside my gun case. Locks do not have to be TSA approved but I would carry a few in a separate bag just in case. Remember a TSA lock can be unlocked by a special key and I don't want anybody having a key to my things besides me.

Its a heck of a lot easier and less stressful than what people think.

Good luck! I'm interested to see how y'all do either stuck to the river corridor or hunting only parcels of state land.

Comment

I flew to South Carolina from Houston Intercontinental for a Spring Turkey Hunt in April. TSA regs say that ammo has to be in a "factory" container. I'm a little smarter than TSA. (LOL) I packed high priced turkey ammo in the factory box & loaded 4 loose rounds of sight-in ammo in the pockets of jeans that I also packed in my gun box since I had taken my barrel off. At Houston - TSA combed through my gun box with a fine tooth comb and found the loose rounds ! They wound up taking them since I had already put my checked bag on the conveyor. They kinda gave me the stink-eye, but didn't threaten me with cavity search. When I arrived at Charleston, my gun box came out on the carousel with mine & everybody else's luggage. I wasn't overly keen on that. BUT - on the return from Charleston to Houston - No TSA agent even looked in my gun box ! I literally didn't even open it ! Complete and total opposite from what happened in Houston. When I got back to Houston, there was a bit of a panic on my part because the gun box did NOT come out on the carousel with the flight's luggage. I eventually found that it was being held in a baggage claim area and had to present ID to retrieve it. And as far as locks - I used rusty old Sesame combination locks that I scrounged up that I had laying around. One of the Houston TSA agents said "oh - those are those GOOD locks !" My advise is - if you have the need to take loose ammo - put it in your checked bag. They'll never know it's in there. I packed all my knives in my checked bag. For the record - I'm not a frequent flier. I haven't traveled with a gun since prior to 9/11. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray McGaughey View Post
              I flew to South Carolina from Houston Intercontinental for a Spring Turkey Hunt in April. TSA regs say that ammo has to be in a "factory" container. I'm a little smarter than TSA. (LOL) I packed high priced turkey ammo in the factory box & loaded 4 loose rounds of sight-in ammo in the pockets of jeans that I also packed in my gun box since I had taken my barrel off. At Houston - TSA combed through my gun box with a fine tooth comb and found the loose rounds ! They wound up taking them since I had already put my checked bag on the conveyor. They kinda gave me the stink-eye, but didn't threaten me with cavity search. When I arrived at Charleston, my gun box came out on the carousel with mine & everybody else's luggage. I wasn't overly keen on that. BUT - on the return from Charleston to Houston - No TSA agent even looked in my gun box ! I literally didn't even open it ! Complete and total opposite from what happened in Houston. When I got back to Houston, there was a bit of a panic on my part because the gun box did NOT come out on the carousel with the flight's luggage. I eventually found that it was being held in a baggage claim area and had to present ID to retrieve it. And as far as locks - I used rusty old Sesame combination locks that I scrounged up that I had laying around. One of the Houston TSA agents said "oh - those are those GOOD locks !" My advise is - if you have the need to take loose ammo - put it in your checked bag. They'll never know it's in there. I packed all my knives in my checked bag. For the record - I'm not a frequent flier. I haven't traveled with a gun since prior to 9/11. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Thanks for the insight. I’m flying out of Bush so at least I’ll know what to expect! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I fly to matches pretty often and have always gotten through with no problems.
                You are limited to 11 lb of ammo per rifle. My PRS matches require about 13 lbs of ammo. Have not had a problem yet.

TSA locks in every hole that can take a lock. Keyed alike preferred.

Ammo can go in factory or ammo box designed for ammo in checked bag or with rifle.

I make sure there is no mag in, and remove the bolt (have a buddy that had broken off bolt knob while it was in action).

Make sure the rifle case weighs less than 50lb.

Comment

I would also advise getting a couple of apple air tags to throw in the rifle cases. Good piece of mind.

Comment

Originally posted by StickFlinger View Post
                    Definitely need to be TSA approved locks, pretty sure handgun ammo needs to be in a checked in bag but it cannot be in the same case as the gun
                    This is correct.

Comment

Funny or sad the amount of bad info— and folks doubling down on it.
                      Ammo in a box or case can ride with an unloaded firearm.
                      Gun case does not have to be “TSA Approved,” just hard sided and lockable.
                      Any lock will do.
                      If the case has more than one locking point and can be pried open from one end to get at the firearm, lock multiple points.

Comment

Originally posted by CA Tallas View Post
                        This is correct.

Actually every bit of it is dead wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by meltingfeather View Post
                          Actually every bit of it is dead wrong.
                          This is correct, lol.

Comment

Originally posted by meltingfeather View Post
                            Funny or sad the amount of bad info— and folks doubling down on it.
                            Ammo in a box or case can ride with an unloaded firearm.
                            Gun case does not have to be “TSA Approved,” just hard sided and lockable.
                            Any lock will do.
                            If the case has more than one locking point and can be pried open from one end to get at the firearm, lock multiple points.

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/transport...and-ammunition

This is my plan!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                            X