No announcement yet.

Medical bills -

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Realistically what could you do? I mean seriously. At most I'd pay $25 a month until I died and they'd still never get their money because it's impossible to be 500 years old. So sending me a bill in the mail for even half that amount is stupid on their part. Hospitals are in the business of losing money if they're sending out bills like that regularly. It's unrealistic to expect people to pay that. Doctors don't even make enough money to pay bills like that.

Illegals are exempt from paying hospital bills so screw 'em. I don't go to the hospital anyways so I don't have to worry about it. I'd rather just go to heaven and see Jesus. It's a lot cheaper. I ain't going broke over something that's temporary best believe that.

Snake bites and broken bones get treated at home. Doctors can kiss my grits. If my heart attacks me this very second I'll see y'all when I see ya. I'll take an aspirin and sleep it off.
    Last edited by okrattler; 08-13-2022, 12:17 AM.

Comment

i don't interact with medical providers very often but when i do i always make it a point to ask what the cash price is. the answer is always "it depends on what insurance you have". then i inform them that what i mean by cash price is if i don't have insurance and want to pay in full out of pocket. dentists always get me a price, and i have yet to get a price from any other medical provider.

what needs to happen is at the state level we need attorneys general or class action lawsuits for sherman act violations (US code title 18 if i remember correctly). we don't need any new laws, just someone to enforce them.

Comment

Originally posted by Throwin Darts View Post
        Some people have insurance….it’s called Gofundme

I predict two coming to tbh soon based on recent threads
        Not here.

Comment

Go to the insurance exchange online. Plug in your information and it will provide you a ton of medical plan options.

Open enrollment is coming up. No medical questions and no pre existing conditions. Based on your income there can be significant subsidies. The premiums are very reasonable in most cases.

Also there are high deductible plans you can select that lower the premiums significantly. Having a deductible to pay is way better than having an entire hospital/surgery bill to pay.

Comment

Originally posted by Huntindad View Post
            good luck with that
            It's top secret.

Originally posted by dhall1414 View Post
            i don't interact with medical providers very often but when i do i always make it a point to ask what the cash price is. the answer is always "it depends on what insurance you have". then i inform them that what i mean by cash price is if i don't have insurance and want to pay in full out of pocket. dentists always get me a price, and i have yet to get a price from any other medical provider.

what needs to happen is at the state level we need attorneys general or class action lawsuits for sherman act violations (US code title 18 if i remember correctly). we don't need any new laws, just someone to enforce them.
            Same here. Not that I've tried many times. But for the couple times we did try nada.

Thanks for those who answered with their opinion. My opinion flip flops. But when they go full retard on me I do not think it's immoral to try and get out of it. If they tell me cash price up front and I agree then I'll pay it.

IMO - It's morally wrong to give free healthcare everything to "poor" people but charge the living crap out of anyone who works. Even if it's only a $8k deductible.

Do monthly insurance payments count towards the deductible?

Comment

Originally posted by Huntingfool View Post
              Go to the insurance exchange online. Plug in your information and it will provide you a ton of medical plan options.

Open enrollment is coming up. No medical questions and no pre existing conditions. Based on your income there can be significant subsidies. The premiums are very reasonable in most cases.

Also there are high deductible plans you can select that lower the premiums significantly. Having a deductible to pay is way better than having an entire hospital/surgery bill to pay.
              You never answered my question. Why doesn't the medical profession give out an estimated bill TO THE PATIENT before doing anything? I don't buy a can of corn, Or have work done to my car without knowing.

Comment

Originally posted by 175gr7.62 View Post
                The government regulations.

My wife is a medical billing guru. She contracts out to several practices.

Hospitals can operate on what insurance pays….they plan on that. Your out of pocket stuff is the gravy.

I almost died last year with a heart condition. Hospital billed my insurance $143k. My deductible was $7000. That is what my bill was.

Wife set up a payment plan and have been paying $100/month since October. Got a letter last week that we were done.

Too many people ignore the billing office calls. They will deal with you. The most important thing is to pay something on the bill every month, even $50. Eventually they will write it off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup, good description. I would also just add and encourage folks to ask what services being rendered are in and out of network. Folks get hit with that not knowing.

Comment

Originally posted by SabineHunter View Post
                  You never answered my question. Why doesn't the medical profession give out an estimated bill TO THE PATIENT before doing anything? I don't buy a can of corn, Or have work done to my car without knowing.
                  They can, they can tell you your corn could cost $7.99 a bag or $7,999 a bag depending on variables , ie deductible, in /out network, complications, emergency care. Etc. There is absolutely no reason why you shouldn’t be able to get a ball park figure for your run of the mill scheduled procedure as long as you ask the right questions and confirm all services will be in network.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldeneagle View Post
                    Not here.
                    Hell I'd donate to it if you did Randy. Posts like his shows there is a ***** side of TBH as well.

To answer the OPs question, I have good insurance and still negotiate my out of pocket bills down when I can. My insurance company may pay the exorbitant prices to help cover for those not fortunate enough to have insurance or the illegals coming in, but I'm going to try to keep as much of my own money for my future expenditures as I can. I'm going to take advantage of negotiation and not lose any sleep over it.

If I was ever caught reaching insurance maximums due to a horrible debilitating illness or unfortunate accident with myself or the wife, and the number was too high even after negotiations, I would pay what I could afford monthly. I'd send something even if it was $50 a month(random number for discussion purposes) just to keep them off my tail. If they choose to write it off down the line then it is what it is. My "raising" mentality wouldn't take a hit when dealing in the medical expense world due to the markup and insurance games.. Owing a buddy, an electric bill or a mortgage payment is a different type of debt in my opinion...

Comment

Originally posted by bow4my2 View Post
                      They can, they can tell you your corn could cost $7.99 a bag or $7,999 a bag depending on variables , ie deductible, in /out network, complications, emergency care. Etc. There is absolutely no reason why you shouldn’t be able to get a ball park figure for your run of the mill scheduled procedure as long as you ask the right questions and confirm all services will be in network.
                      THIS -
                      Insurance companies require pre certification prior to most all services like hospital stays, surgery, etc. Once the hospital or doctor receives it you can request a copy of it/estimate.

And he is correct - it also makes sure all providers are in network.

Comment

The thought that just paying a small monthly payment for a large medical bill sounds good but in many cases it unfortuantely ends up in having file for bankruptcy.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Huntingfool View Post
                          The thought that just paying a small monthly payment for a large medical bill sounds good but in many cases it unfortuantely ends up in having file for bankruptcy.
                          Those numbers are skewed. People purposely file bankruptcy to avoid paying debts, not because they had to. It sucks, but businesses do it often.

Comment

I'll give you two examples that have happened to me that showed me the medical field are the biggest crooks in the world today. Paid off a doctors bill one time but it took a while to come up with the money. Sent the money to the hospital and ended up getting a note from the collections agency. So I call the hospital and explain what had happened so they said no problem it's taken care of. I didn't hear anything else about it for a while and come to find out if you're sent to collections they include some court fee. They let that build up until I owed $2500 in interest.

Second thing was I paid a company in full and about a month later I get a call and I'm told I owe them money. Turns out they got bought out by another company. So I get in touch with my insurance provider and they tell me no actually the company that contacted me owed me money. So I call back and they wouldn't pay me back they'd just argue with me. So I said to hell with it. Those pieces of **** can call you every day when you owe them but if it's the other way around they won't pay up.

I don't feel bad for any medical company that gets screwed out of money. They'd sure as hell do it to you if the roles were switched. I finally had to quit calling about my money cause I was ready to kill someone by the time I got off the phone. That guy had me so mad someone somewhere has a recording of me saying the f-word,n-word,s-word,p-word,etc.

Just don't pay em. To hell with it. They have to write it off eventually.
                            Last edited by okrattler; 08-13-2022, 09:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TheHammer View Post
                              Those numbers are skewed. People purposely file bankruptcy to avoid paying debts, not because they had to. It sucks, but businesses do it often.
                              That is why for the average Joe, there are 2 types of bankruptcy.

1. Chapter 7 which basically means you were put into a situation that was out of your control.

2. Chapter 13 which basically means you were irresponsible and created the problem yourself.

The rules are different for each one as to what can be written off and what you have to repay.

Comment

Working...
                              X