No announcement yet.

Scary medical bill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well $500,000 ain't chit, I'm sure if you ask fjb for it he will send you a check. 500k is just a drop in the bucket, when he sends billions everywhere but HERE!! Get an itemized statement and that will remove a lot of it and then pay whatever you can a month.

Comment

Do not pay it. Go on the payment plan and make the minimum payment that you can. After a few years they will clear it.

Comment

Best thing you can do is file for personal bankruptcy. Healthcare is the #1 reason for bankruptcy. Don't be put off by the stigma of it. Unless your hiding millions out behind the barn, contact a lawyer. The healthcare provider knew when they inflated the bill you were not able to pay. They will write it off as bad debt.

Comment

When we were in high school, a buddy of mine killed a canvasback which were illegal at the time. Game warden caught him, he had it on him when they got checked not knowing what kind of duck it was. All together fine was about $5,000. He paid $5/ month for a few years, they eventually quit billing him. You could always try that route and hope for the same results.

Comment

It’s crazy what they charge. My insurance paid for a $16000 drug test when I broke my color bone racing dirt bikes. The doctor wanted the test for some reason.

Comment

I would just just send 10.00 a month. They have the fed in the pockets to bail them out.

Comment

First, negotiate it down. It’s amazing how much you can get it reduced. During the negotiations you can itemize each item. Then set up a minimum payment plan.

Or, petition FJB and congress to forgive your dept like a college loan.

Comment

Originally posted by ra61hunting View Post
                  Best thing you can do is file for personal bankruptcy. Healthcare is the #1 reason for bankruptcy. Don't be put off by the stigma of it. Unless your hiding millions out behind the barn, contact a lawyer. The healthcare provider knew when they inflated the bill you were not able to pay. They will write it off as bad debt.
                  This. It will take 10 years but you can recover from it. I’ve done it and recovered from it quit well. I was forced to file for chapter 7 bankruptcy in 2012, along with getting my truck repossessed, having my house foreclosed on, going through a divorce, getting laid off of work, and ending up needing surgeries without insurance. My credit score dropped to the low 500s. Fast forward 10 years and I’ve got an 840+ credit score with all 3 agencies, got a new truck in the driveway, and have bought and sold 2 new houses.

Plus, ANY payment plan the average person can afford is going to take longer than 10 years to pay off with that large of a bill.

Comment

The amount of folks saying not to at least pay what you can on the debt is pathetic.

You may not be able to pay the $500k but to just walk on it isn’t the right thing to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Pay $5 a month and don’t worry about it. As long as your paying there is nothing they can do about it. I had a 5 min teledoc call and my bill was $600 and the dr. Did not even do anything or even prescribe any medicine.

Comment

I get it, 500k is an amount that would ruin you for the rest of your life if you attempted to pay it off, even if over time. Fact is, my insurance will pay the debt when I use it and it will be transferred to my monthly premium.

Comment

To make a long story short, I was in a hospital for less than three days and had no complications after procedure. As in your case excluding all other bills such as doctors and ambulance , local ER etc. The hospital billed my insurance about $230,000. This was after they had me sign an estimate for there bill of about $12,000. I complained with both hospital and insurance about the fraud and it was just considered how things are. In the end my insurance paid around $40,000 for this $230,000 bill. It’s all BS and I guess it’s some way they write off all the people that pay nothing. Anyway, there is no way I would pay that amount unless there are some extremely unusual and long term circumstances. Good luck with it and hope it works out.

Comment

If I ever get a bill from a hospital for that kind of money I’m not going to lose any sleep when I don’t pay it or pay a hundred a month on it. I have worked ( at the fire department) on thousands of people Over 21 years I know ain’t paying no Med bill or contributing to the country in any way. If they ain’t worried I ain’t either

Comment

Originally posted by SabineHunter View Post
                              I don't feel sorry for the medical profession on many levels. Does anyone know of a business that refuses to give a cost analysis or estimate before or at the time instead waiting a couple of months afterward?

f the medical profession.
                              It’s unfortunately the insurance companies and not the medical profession. Insurance looks at every avenue on how to cost contain , keep you off the best drug even if it works best and won’t offer to pay for services and offers a threshold. Unfortunately medical professionals are at the mercy of insurance companies and it’s not nearly as a lucrative business as one would think considering around every corner someone wants to sue you.

Comment

Originally posted by SabineHunter View Post
                                I don't feel sorry for the medical profession on many levels. Does anyone know of a business that refuses to give a cost analysis or estimate before or at the time instead waiting a couple of months afterward?

f the medical profession.

Does anybody know a business that will not deny their services in the event that a "customer" is not going to be capable of paying for the services? This is a portion of the problem. The uninsured (for whatever reason) will still get health care when needed. This cost is passed down to the insured.

Comment

Working...
                                X