Real World MPG - Heavy Duty Gas Burnner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
    A good friend of mine just got rid of his 7.3 gasser with the 10spd after it left he and his family on the side of the road for the 3rd or 4th time in 3 years. He had transmission issues 3 times, ignition issues once, and front end issues a lot. He pulls a skid steer around a few days a week, and a 36’ fifth wheel some. I believe his was the 3:55. All I know about mileage is that we left New Braunfels FULL of fuel last week with the campers, and he had to get gas in Hico.[emoji23]

I have one in an F550 that’s been a good truck so far. It has the higher rear end gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Almost all the transmission issues I’ve seen were from the 2020 trucks. The first revision had quite a few teething issues. They’re in the 3rd revision now, and it seems to be a much more solid option. They still haven’t worked out the ignition (coil wire) issues yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Sackett View Post
      I averaged 20.3 mpg this past weekend in my ‘22 F250 with the 6.7 powerstroke on. 700 Mike round trip to the in-laws. I’ve owned several diesels and if you’re getting 14-15 mpg pulling a horse trailer loaded or not, you may need to recalculate the numbers….unless it was downhill from the top of a mountain pass to the valley, cause I’m smelling the back end of that horse trailer ;-)
      Yep. The only way my 350 was getting 14-15 with a trailer involved is if it was idling while riding on that trailer. I can whisper the word trailer to it and watch my fuel mileage drop to 10-11. Didn’t matter if it was my 12’ UTV trailer or 26’ goose with a skid steer loaded.

Comment

Do the break even cost and be realistic with yourself. You sound like a prime candidate for a half ton truck. I went with 3.0 duramax half ton, never got below 25 mpg with mix driving. I drive a ton, 50-70k a year. Fuel savings a year is rather large over the tundra I was driving. Time will tell if it’s as reliable.

Originally posted by turkeyhunter1 View Post
        Chad E

Thanks for the info. I'm trying to decide if the cost of a diesel is worth it.

I don't tow often but I put a lot of miles on a truck. Just trying to figure out if the increased MPG is worth the extra money.

Comment

A 2019 6.2 gasser with the 3.55 gears, six speed transmission. About 15.5 on the interstate doing 70. Every day driving in East Texas 13 to 13.5 if I don’t drive it like I stole it. That’s not pulling a trailer. These days I don’t go much and usually am not in a hurry.

Comment

I'm on my second F-250 gasser: 12.5 - 13 lifetime average depending on driving habits and towing. Anybody that claims different either got a unicorn, has a lot more patience than me on the road, or they're only talking about that one time that they reset the odometer, put the cruise on 60-65, and drove 400 miles on flat ground with no stops/traffic/wind/payload to speak of.

Comment

Originally posted by Evolver View Post
              I'm on my second F-250 gasser: 12.5 - 13 lifetime average depending on driving habits and towing. Anybody that claims different either got a unicorn, has a lot more patience than me on the road, or they're only talking about that one time that they reset the odometer, put the cruise on 60-65, and drove 400 miles on flat ground with no stops/traffic/wind/payload to speak of.
              But not complaining... I knew exactly what I was getting. As stated above, OP seems a prime candidate for an F-150 with upgraded tow package. That is probably where I'd be if I were doing it again at today's fuel prices.

Comment

Sad to say, the modern light duty Diesel engines in these 3/4 and 1 ton trucks are wore out at 250k miles.

Comment

Originally posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
                  Sad to say, the modern light duty Diesel engines in these 3/4 and 1 ton trucks are wore out at 250k miles.
                  I have to disagree here. It’s popular to bash the new engines and their DEF regulations(and rightfully so) but there are plenty of examples of 500k mile hotshot trucks. If you maintain them they’ll go plenty of miles.

That said, extended mileage shouldn’t really be used as an argument for diesel either as very few actually go past 200k. I myself typically trade in before 100k. I’ve had two 2017’s a 2020 and now a 2022 F250. The 10 speed in the 6.7 is a game changer. Can get 22 mpg at 70mph and just recently hauled a flatbed trailer that weighed 3600# with a Nissan Frontier on it and got 14.7 mpg going 70mph.

My 2017 6.7 with a level and 35’s got about 15mpg. I agree if you’re not pulling stuff day in and day out a gasser works great. You’ll drive many miles before you pay off that $11,000 upgrade to diesel. But man nothing and I mean nothing pulls like that 6.7.

Comment

Originally posted by worthag3ball View Post
                    I have to disagree here. It’s popular to bash the new engines and their DEF regulations(and rightfully so) but there are plenty of examples of 500k mile hotshot trucks. If you maintain them they’ll go plenty of miles.

That said, extended mileage shouldn’t really be used as an argument for diesel either as very few actually go past 200k. I myself typically trade in before 100k. I’ve had two 2017’s a 2020 and now a 2022 F250. The 10 speed in the 6.7 is a game changer. Can get 22 mpg at 70mph and just recently hauled a flatbed trailer that weighed 3600# with a Nissan Frontier on it and got 14.7 mpg going 70mph.

My 2017 6.7 with a level and 35’s got about 15mpg. I agree if you’re not pulling stuff day in and day out a gasser works great. You’ll drive many miles before you pay off that $11,000 upgrade to diesel. But man nothing and I mean nothing pulls like that 6.7.

I’m in the business, they are designed to last 250k miles. The fuel system explodes at 130k usually.
                    We can agree to disagree.

Comment

2016 F250 6.2 gasoline about 12 average with mixed driving.

It will get 16 at 55mph but I like going 75mph

Comment

Please don't go by the dash gauge. Hand calculated at the pump will be .5 to 1 mile per gallon lower. At least that's the way it is with my 2015 Duramax.

Comment

2021 4x4 short bed with 3.55s. On eco mode and below 74 ish 17 mpg highway.

12 pulling my ranger, 10 or less with 25 foot bumper pull travel trailer or 22 foot boat

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

The Cummins inline 6 reigns supreme. Over 20 and 16-18 towing.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

New to me Toyota has quite an appetite for the small V8

Comment

Originally posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post
                                The Cummins inline 6 reigns supreme. Over 20 and 16-18 towing.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
                                Those number stank. My 98.5 got 26

But that ain't what he axed

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X