No announcement yet.

colorado and altitude sickness ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spending your first day in Denver will help a lot. like others have said, drink a lot of water, layoff alcohol and caffeine. I have heard some of the above mentioned meds do help.

Comment

Just back from Denver couple hours ago. Get to Colorado a lot and have climbed most of the 14ers.

As mentioned above Diamox can help. I used it in Nepal climbing in the Himalayas with good results even climbing above base camp.

Water, water, water!!! And rugged as it sounds avoid alcohol ....or at least drastically reduce.

Unfortunately you won't adapt with a short trip. Good luck.

Comment

Driving over two days to get there I have not had a problem. But the one time i drove straight to camp at 9,500 ft in one day, I had altitude sickness the next day when i went to the top of the mountain (11,500 ft). I came back down to camp and spent the rest of the first day of season in bed with a headache. The next day I felt better and was able to hunt the rest of the season. The day in Denver should help you adjust and if no one has mentioned it drink plenty of water to hydrate.

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
          Get there a day early and chill out. Limit your alcohol and stay super hydrated. Tell your wife to quit being a worry wart!
          I used to snowboard in Colorado and this is what we always did. Don’t do anything the first day. Give your body time to acclimate to the altitude and don’t drink any adult beverages. It worked as no one in our group ever had any problems.

Comment

[QUOTE=Heath;15909854]For my Elk Hunt at 10,000 Feet I took Wilderness Athlete's Altitude Advantage. It is a a process you start about 10 days before your trip taking and double up the dose while you are at high altitude.

I did a DIY elk hunt back in the late 90’s and camped near Shingle Peak next to the Wilderness Flattops at 10,000+. I was sick the entire week.

But I took a nice 5x5 with a ML so it wasn’t too bad.

Comment

Alka seltzer

Comment

Stay in Denver and smoke weed and eat pizza and drink lots of beer.

Comment

Definitely lots of water, like everyone else says.

Also - I started taking Chlorophyll a week or two before heading to the mountains. It helped me a lot. I just put a few drops in my coffee every morning (per the label on the package). It helps you process oxygen more efficiently.

http://www.theclumsytraveler.com/avo...kness-in-peru/ It starts about ¼ the way down the page

Comment

The vaxed are having some condition where red bloodcells don’t transport oxygen like prevaxed and many people are having major problems. Lots of people I know that live above 8,000 feet are having to move.

Maybe these conditions below, I don’t know.? You don’t hear anything about it?

Scientist Dr. Richard Fleming joined the “Health Ranger Report” to discuss the negative effects of Pfizer’s Wuhan coronavirus (COVID-19) vaccine. He told Health Ranger Mike Adams during the program’s Oct. 26 edition on Brighteon.TV that the vaccine heavily affects red blood cells and their oxygen-carrying capacity. Fleming said: “There’s been all sorts of information floating around social media […]

A spokesperson from Shamir Medical Center stressed that the study of the Pfizer coronavirus vaccine's connection to a rare disease should not deter vaccinations.

A condition that affects the blood, known as idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura (ITP), may be associated the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine in rare cases, research suggests.

Only reason I know anything about it is from friends and family having altitude problems and having to move. 2 of them in Colorado are retired doctors that were in extreme shape and cyclists before they went down hill in a span of 6 months.
                    Last edited by Voodoo; 11-04-2021, 03:04 PM.

Comment

When we moved there we drank a ton of water. We got slight headaches when we went to Brekenridge. I think it was 10,000 feet. We lived in the Wet Mountains outside of Florence. We were at 6,100’. Never had a problem there but we would get winded easy walking the roads. Took a while but we got used to it

Comment

Hydration is the key so make sure your well hydrated. Divide body weight by 2 and drink that many ounces a day and more if needed due to physical activity. So for a 200lb person you should drink 100oz per day.

Comment

The most cost effective DIY electrolyte I have found is carrying a 2oz dropper bottle full of SOLE water. It works very fast with holding a few drops under your tounge for 30-60 seconds.
                          The best Salt I have found to use is Sea of Cortez Baja Gold.

Easy to make. Easy to keep small bottles for your hikes/hunts.

Sole water is more popular than ever but there are some alarming benefits and potentially harmful side effects that you must be aware of.

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
                            Get there a day early and chill out. Limit your alcohol and stay super hydrated. Tell your wife to quit being a worry wart!
                            This.

I used to snowboard. We would always get to Colorado and do nothing on the first day. It gives your body a chance to acclimate to the altitude. Stay hydrated and away from the adult beverages for a day or two. After that, go easy on the adult beverages as they hit you harder when you are up there in altitude. In South Fort, Colorado(about 8,000 ft elevation) my buddy and I went to a little cafe called the Rockaway Cafe for supper after a day on the mountain. I had a Long Island iced tea. All that I remember about the walk back to the hotel was I was not cold despite not wearing a jacket and it being 5 degrees outside!! They never hit me as hard as that one did that night.

Comment

If you have time, alter your diet just a bit and boost your red blood cell count before you go.
                              If the results of your RBC blood test show low red blood cell production, eating foods that contain certain nutrients may help increase your RBC count.

Has a doctor advised you to increase your red blood cell count? These supplements and lifestyle changes may help.

Comment

Flying and arriving in a few hours or driving all day?

Situations: #1 I and all members of the family have been making multiple drives every year to central Colorado since '94. Nobody has had altitude sickness symptoms. #2 I also go on annual snowboard tour trips. The only times I got altitude sickness is when we took off on direct flights from Houston to Durango and then immediately drove to Telluride. That's 70' above see level to 8,750' in 5 hours. That will trigger altitude sickness.

We have family friends that get the sickness when they go to Breck. They have since flown into Denver 24hrs before they drive to Breck. That solved their issues.

Comment

Working...
                                X