Solar Panel Help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solar Panel Help?

Wondering if anyone might know the best way to buy a small number of large solar panels? Seems shipping is excessive. Maybe a good retailer in Houston?

Also, I'm having a hard time getting the max VOC, min wattage, and DC Voltage range to jive together. Id like to stick to either 4 or 6 large panels.

Here is the specs for the pump that it will be running. No batteries in system.

That pic recommends less than 200 volts and 1500 watts or greater of solar.

I am not affiliated with this ad, but a quick search came up with these:

These are used 300 watt solar panels that are rated at 45 volt open circuit voltage. 4 of these in series would yield 180 volts and 1,200 watts. 5 in series would yield 225 volts and 1,500 watts. 6 in series would yield 270 volts and 1,800 watts.

However, if you had enough room for 8 of these panels then you could wire them initially in 2 separate groups of 4 that are wired in series. Then wire those 2 groups in parallel. So you would end up with 180 volts and 2,400 watts open circuit. This would keep the voltage in the safe range while providing enough current to run the pump over a longer period of time each day.

Comment

Or if you absolutely had to go with 4 or 6 panels, you could go with 4 of these.

395 watts and 49 volts open circuit. 4 of these wired in series would yield 196 volts and 1580 watts. These are $220 each. Once again, I’m not affiliated with the seller.

Either way you went, you would end up spending a little over $800 just for the panels.

Comment

Used panels on marketplace or Craigslist.

Comment

Thanks! I had searched craigslist but missed those in Houston.

I do wonder where these things are coming from.

Comment

Originally posted by toledo View Post
            Thanks! I had searched craigslist but missed those in Houston.

I do wonder where these things are coming from.

From what I’ve read and seen, some companies will upgrade to more efficient panels and the old ones will be sold to a reseller. Sometimes, a company will go out of business, or change locations and the solar setup will be removed and sold to a reseller. I’ve bought a few used ones from a reseller in the Dallas area. Bought them 2 years ago and they still put out really good power.

Comment

Solar panels are becoming much more popular as traditional energy prices continue to rise. I already have solar panels installed in my house; when I bought them, I got a discount promo code for shipping, which made me pay a small amount. Moreover, in addition to the solar panels, I bought a solar charger here at SBP Electrical. It is convenient because it collects all the energy, and I can see how much electricity I have in stock on my phone.

Comment

Working...
              X