2012 Hemi question..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2012 Hemi question..

My grandson is being gifted a Dodge 1500, and I think one of the lifters has developed a “ ticking noise “. Truck sat idle for two years, I put a new battery in it, and noticed the tick....

I seem to remember other folks having the same problem. Is this a common defect??

If’n you have had this problem, what was the remedy?

Did you replace ALL lifters on both heads, or just one side?

Anything else need replacing?

I’m wanting to help him on his first vehicle, but want to do it right the first time.

Old school rev it to fast idle and pour transmission fluid into carb
    These days idk

Comment

Thats the infamous HEMI tick, my 12 had it too, wasnt bad at all, and still ran great

Comment

Make sure it’s not a broken exhaust bolt. Mine made a ticking noise and it was an exhaust bolt on the passenger side.

Comment

Do a search on Hemi tick. Very common issue caused by a poor design of the oiling system. Some of them tick when new and Chrysler says it's "normal." Sometimes it's as simple as a loose manifold bolt. If it's bad enough that you need lifters, the camshaft needs to be looked at too, because there's a good chance it's got a ground off spot. I'd replace all the lifters and the cam. Do it once and be done.

Comment

Lifters and cams can go out on some. Not sure if bad lifters take out the cam or bad cam takes out the lifters. Its hit and miss. My 2010 had 230k when I traded it in. Make sure its from the engine and not an exhaust manifold leak. I would cut open an oil filter and inspect or send off an oil analysis. If there is a problem your replacing the cam and I would replace all the lifters. If your in the motor that far it doesnt make sense to change only some of them. Some people change out to hellcat lifters when doing this swap.

Good luck op

Comment

It's a product of the MDS which is the feature that shuts down half of the engine when not under acceleration.

My 2014 has it when started after sitting for a while. It's been doing this since around 75k miles and the truck is currently north of 153k. It does go away after 10-15 seconds but it's annoying nonetheless.

I may end up setting the truck up for my son's first vehicle. If I do, I'll likely go through the engine and replace the cam and lifters with a non MDS set up. That will likely create the need for a custom tune but to be honest, the MDS feature didn't increase the fuel economy enough to be a factor. It was around .4 or .5 MPG max as I remember before I leveled my truck and went up a couple of tire sizes. These days I just disable the MDS when I first put it in gear by putting the transmission in 8th gear. Operates as normal, just deactivates the MDS.

On a 6 speed transmission I believe you can disable it by pushing the Tow/Haul button but that's 2nd hand word so I'm not positive about that.

Comment

Working...
              X