2016-2017 Blood tracking game dog hunting season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

With the 2016-2017 hunting season around the corner I would like to start off a thread for blood tracking of wounded game with dogs for this up and coming season...

Please post pics and stories of your upcoming blood tracks with your dog...can't wait to read all you tracking adventures..

Good luck..
    Last edited by RiverRat00; 09-02-2016, 12:58 PM.

Me and 'Ol Dollie have been on here a couple of years now. We've had a great deal of success, and have met a few Great TBH'rs. Lookin' forward to another season, and I want to ENCOURAGE all Hunters please, please, please, let your deer lay for awhile. I, like anyone else, am always anxious to get to my trophy and have a good look. However, if you are even the slightest bit unsure of your shot placement, please back out and look for that deer later. EXAMPLE, I went out on several tracks last year where I was told on the phone that they had already waited "many" hours before calling. However, after getting there and talking to the client and other hunters with them, I found that they had not in fact waited long at all before going out to track those deer. Subsequently, they pushed the deer which made tracking even harder, and,,,,,,,,,, I still wound up jumping 5 Bucks last year that had not been given enough time to expire. PLEASE be Honest with us, and yourselves. You'll likely have more success in finding your trophy. Best Of Luck this season Y'all.

Comment

Originally posted by Dollie View Post
      Me and 'Ol Dollie have been on here a couple of years now. We've had a great deal of success, and have met a few Great TBH'rs. Lookin' forward to another season, and I want to ENCOURAGE all Hunters please, please, please, let your deer lay for awhile. I, like anyone else, am always anxious to get to my trophy and have a good look. However, if you are even the slightest bit unsure of your shot placement, please back out and look for that deer later. EXAMPLE, I went out on several tracks last year where I was told on the phone that they had already waited "many" hours before calling. However, after getting there and talking to the client and other hunters with them, I found that they had not in fact waited long at all before going out to track those deer. Subsequently, they pushed the deer which made tracking even harder, and,,,,,,,,,, I still wound up jumping 5 Bucks last year that had not been given enough time to expire. PLEASE be Honest with us, and yourselves. You'll likely have more success in finding your trophy. Best Of Luck this season Y'all.

Very good point you make... Thanks for sharing and hope you have a great season tracking..

Comment

Justin Hurst WMA, Brazoria County

I took my 9 year old son on a youth only draw hunt this weekend. He was successful and shot his first 2 deer ever, a spike, then an 8 pointer a few hours later. I brought my dog along just in case and thankfully most didn't need her. There was a young girl though who shot her first buck and I really wanted to try and help get it home for her. It was now about 8pm and they told me they shot around 7pm. They thought that they had heard the deer rustling in some brush and backed out after about 100 yards. From their description all signs pointed to a liver hit. I had 2 deer to clean, so I suggested we wait until I was done and I'd get the dog on him. We started tracking around 11pm. I started the dog where the hunters said they stopped tracking. I expected to see Rosie go straight for the clump of brush they thought the buck was in, but she went nowhere near it. I followed the dog for 400 yards or so, with no blood to ease any doubt for the hunters. I still sometimes fight myself to "trust the nose". She was however, hyper-focused and I could tell she was on the right track. After not much longer, we were back on blood and we followed the track until we were in ankle deep marsh and getting deeper. It was now after midnight on a pro-bono track and I had a 9 year old begging for dinner and bed. After tracking for over half a mile, now in a swamp and the blood we were now on looked more superficial, I decided to call off the chase. I wish this story ended with a happy ending for the young hunter, but I feel this was a good start to the season for me and Rosie. The TPWD biologist running the hunt, had never seen a blood tracking dog work before. He was impressed and told me he never would've thought to look in the area the dog had gone and is now a believer in using a dog when necessary. I was also happy to see her drive and determination has not swayed in the off-season.

Comment

^^^ cool story, thanks for sharing. What breed are you running?

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat00 View Post
            ^^^ cool story, thanks for sharing. What breed are you running?
            She's a 6 year old Lacy.

Comment

Put my year old pup and a new 14 week old on 3 trails. Not hard trails at all but good for getting warmed up. Found all 3. New pup seems like he is going to be very good.

Comment

Originally posted by jtslush View Post
                She's a 6 year old Lacy.
                Good deal.. Has she always tracked blood

Comment

Originally posted by BrushnBay View Post
                  Put my year old pup and a new 14 week old on 3 trails. Not hard trails at all but good for getting warmed up. Found all 3. New pup seems like he is going to be very good.
                  Good time to put them up to the challenge of a real track.. Good luck this season.

Comment

My dog Axel had his first track of the season today. Got the call this morning and thankfully the hunter knew it was a gut shot so we decided to wait. Went in this afternoon about 9 hours after the shot and Axel made short work of it. I am very pleased because this was the oldest track I've had him on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Grayson View Post
                      My dog Axel had his first track of the season today. Got the call this morning and thankfully the hunter knew it was a gut shot so we decided to wait. Went in this afternoon about 9 hours after the shot and Axel made short work of it. I am very pleased because this was the oldest track I've had him on.

Good looking Bavarian mountain blood hound. Where did you buy him?

Comment

Good looking Bavarian mountain blood hound. Where did you buy him?
                        Grayson county flea market.

Comment

Originally posted by Grayson View Post

Congrates on the track

Comment

Great job by you and Axel ! Thanks for taking the time/making the trip !

Comment

Good deal.. Has she always tracked blood
                              Yes, I started her when she was 8 weeks old.

Comment

Working...
                              X