Experienced pro tile guys on here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ruark View Post
    Just asking, no offense.... what credentials do you guys have for having those opinions?

they have eyeballs

Comment

Just asking, no offense.... what credentials do you guys have for having those opinions?
      The company I work for designs and builds custom homes with construction values ranging from $2 million to $6+ million. But it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that a couple of those pictures look like a toddler did the work. The part that would worry me is that if that's what the work looks like on the part of the job you can see (i.e. tile installation) , I wonder what the work was like that got covered up that you cant see that is more important from a longevity standpoint (i.e waterproofing)

Comment

Looks like sh**!

Comment

Don't think that all that can't be fixed in a day or two just because its taking your guy forever to do the job up to this point.

You have to withhold payment. Have to. Doing so will get your issues fixed. If you pay what is owed you will never ever see these guys again. And the owner may be disappointed in some pics but if he got paid then he won't really care and will be on to the next job.

Tell them now you aren't going to show up to closing until this is fixed right and you'll see a new level of work and pace of work.

No way in hail I'd accept that tile work

Comment

Thanks for all the responses - it was more than I expected! The builder was very concerned, and on his instruction, I sent about a dozen pics and some notes to the tiling company boss, with a cc to the builder. We'll see what the response is.

Comment

No time to fix? My tilers could rip all that out and redo in a couple days max.

Comment

wow. might expect that if this was your first time and you limited yourself to 7 mins of youtube instructional videos

those first 2 pics made me cringe

Comment

Thanks for all the responses - it was more than I expected! The builder was very concerned, and on his instruction, I sent about a dozen pics and some notes to the tiling company boss, with a cc to the builder. We'll see what the response is.
                  Its good that your builder was concerned, as he should be. But I can't believe that your builder had you contact the tile installer to attempt to get the issue resolved? Why couldn't your builder deal with the problem. He's the one that hired the guy that created the problem in the first place.

As someone that works for a builder, I'll be the first one to tell you that **** happens on every single build and something will need to get repaired/replaced/fixed. But your builder should be taking the reigns to get the problem fixed. Not asking you to send pictures to his subcontractors letting them know that the work was not acceptable.

Comment

I had a tile person rip a 3 wall bath down as it wasn't done near as bad as yours. They did, but not happy.

Comment

I’ve never laid tile in my life and guarantee I could do a better job than that on my first try.

I would be livid and my builder would be figuring out the solution, not me. Otherwise what is the builder good for?

In my own home (I bought it, didn’t build it), I’ve started to notice certain things during the 2 years I have been here. A Toilet that isn’t perfectly square to the wall, a door jamb that isn’t quite square, little things.
                      If you don’t have this fixed, it will aggravate you every day you have to look at it.

Comment

Well, I sent a polite, but very negative email to the tile boss with a cc to my builder, with about 10 pics. This morning the tile guy was working and wouldn't speak to me. Probably got in a truckload of trouble. I finally broke the ice and we talked a bit. He was popping off and re-doing all of the areas in this pictures. He wasn't happy about it, but tough cookies, eh?

Comment

Well, I sent a polite, but very negative email to the tile boss with a cc to my builder, with about 10 pics. This morning the tile guy was working and wouldn't speak to me. Probably got in a truckload of trouble. I finally broke the ice and we talked a bit. He was popping off and re-doing all of the areas in this pictures. He wasn't happy about it, but tough cookies, eh?
                          Glad you’re getting it taken care of. I’m really picky about tile work and have only seen one on a similar level as bad as that. It was a shower at my buddy’s place and he was having them redo it. I expressed concern that if the guy did that the first time he probably wasn’t capable of doing it correctly. The company sent out another guy to re set everything.

It’s not your fault he did garbage work, it’s not like you’re nitpicking tiles that had microscopically chipped corners or decided you wanted different size grout joints after it was done.
                          Last edited by gatorgrizz27; 05-08-2019, 06:13 AM.

Comment

If the guy did that quality work to begin with and then showed up with an attitude, I would be telling the builder that someone actually qualified needs to be fixing it.

I do a lot of my own home repairs and have done a lot of remodeling....but I suck at tile and I know it. When I need it done I get someone that knows what they are doing. That guy doesn't.

Comment

I agree with Rick!

Look this stuff over, very well, before he even opens a bag of grout. If it's not right, send him home, and tell him to tell his boss to send someone else! You shouldn't be the one taking care of these issues, but that's a talk you need to have with your builder.

Did you tap on all the tiles, like I suggested?

Comment

They work for you, don't worry about it. Do yourself a favor and walk the house with a pad and paper and write down every single issue you have with something. No matter what it is write it down. Chances are high they will screw some more stuff up trying to fix the issues. Add that to the list as well. Send a copy of the list to the builder saying these are the issues you want fixed prior to closing. Waiting till the last minute to address issues will just make matters worse for you and your wife.

Yes your doing their job for them but its your house and your close to moving in. When all the items on your list are X'd out y'all will be happy and in the end that's all that matters.

Comment

Working...
                                X