Any Small Engine Mechanics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any Small Engine Mechanics?

My push mower is running rough & dies on me. It’s a Troy built with a Honda OHC 160cc engine. It revs up & down for a few minutes & then dies. I was afraid gas from last year went bad and I don’t do a good job draining off old gas. I mowed the front yard 2 weeks ago and it ran okay. Took about 20-30 minutes to do that. Yesterday I mowed the back but after 15 minutes it starting revving up & down and then died. I pulled plug and brushed it well and fired up but it revved up & down about 3 minutes while I hurriedly finished up. I ended up adding 1 oz of mechanic in a bottle to the gas which it had close to full tank. I tried tuning for a bit after adding it and it revved up & down and died again. Today I changed the oil, new plug & new air filter. Tried running it again to get more of the stabilizer through it and it ran about 3 minutes and then started revving up & down and jerking a little and finally died. Have to put it on choke to start again. I forgot to mention yesterday when I fired it up after adding fuel stabilizer it occasionally wanted to back fire a little with a little pop here & there. Didn’t do it this afternoon. It’s about 10-12 years old. Time for new or pretty simple fix?

I'd take off and clean the carb jets. Then I'd google it and see if it has a spark arrestor. I'd take the spark arrestor out and clean it using a drill w a wire brush attachment.

Comment

Clean the carb

Comment

Originally posted by pervis View Post
        I'd take off and clean the carb jets. Then I'd google it and see if it has a spark arrestor. I'd take the spark arrestor out and clean it using a drill w a wire brush attachment.

X2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

It’s the carb

Comment

Yep I came across a YouTube video a guy demo’d a mower surging & dies after taking it off choke. Pretty spot on to what mine is doing. He had to take the carb out & clean the jets out well. Looks like that’s my next step. Thanks for the info!

Comment

If you can’t get it rollin, holler at me. I’ve got a good one I’d sell. By the time we find a new place to live, I’ll need a zero turn so I won’t need it. Lawn maintenance is covered here where we’re at so mines in storage.

Comment

Originally posted by Sleepy View Post
                If you can’t get it rollin, holler at me. I’ve got a good one I’d sell. By the time we find a new place to live, I’ll need a zero turn so I won’t need it. Lawn maintenance is covered here where we’re at so mines in storage.
                Ok I may holler at you if this thing keeps giving me fits.

Comment

Doesn't take much to clog the jets on a carb. Cleaning the jets isn't that difficult and may do the trick.
                  Replacement carbs are usually inexpensive on newer model mowers. If it sat for a few months with gas in the carb, the gaskets, float, and lines will swell from the Ethanol in gas these days.

Comment

Originally posted by Grndchecker View Post
                    Doesn't take much to clog the jets on a carb. Cleaning the jets isn't that difficult and may do the trick.
                    Replacement carbs are usually inexpensive on newer model mowers. If it sat for a few months with gas in the carb, the gaskets, float, and lines will swell from the Ethanol in gas these days.
                    I hope so. I’m one of those engineers that can’t poor **** out of a boot even with the directions on the heel

Comment

Working...
                    X