ITC is on fire again.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jds247 View Post
    Thought I explained why. Using a wrench is such a simple task that if you can't do that you will never grasp distillation and block flows much less freeing equipment for maintenance..
    So becuase someone had never taught him properly you decided he could never learn? You are the one who stated you watched him for "10 minutes" do it the wrong way so you told him finally to "get out of the way you would handle it". Seems like somewhere in that 10 minutes could have been a teaching moment. He had obviously never been taught.

Comment

Originally posted by d_e_smith View Post
      Hug them things all the way to the sawmill.
      They are a renewable resource. That’s part of the deal.

Comment

Originally posted by Take Dead Aim View Post
        So becuase someone had never taught him properly you decided he could never learn? You are the one who stated you watched him for "10 minutes" do it the wrong way so you told him finally to "get out of the way you would handle it". Seems like somewhere in that 10 minutes could have been a teaching moment. He had obviously never been taught.
        If you've ever spent time around operators, you really don't want them passing on their " working " knowledge . There's a reason they only issue them a pair of channel locks!

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
          If you've ever spent time around operators, you really don't want them passing on their " working " knowledge . There's a reason they only issue them a pair of channel locks!

**** this made me lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
            From this thread it sounds like it standard protocol to not pass it on so it appears we all win. Ha

Comment

Originally posted by Take Dead Aim View Post
              Do u remember that game you give 2 year olds with the pegs and the board where they figure out which shape goes where ?? This guy was 30 and that's basically what he was trying to figure out.. Guys like that usually become t and I planners

Comment

Do u remember that game you give 2 year olds with the pegs and the board where they figure out which shape goes where ?? This guy was 30 and that's basically what he was trying to figure out.. Guys like that usually become t and I planners
                Sounds like the hiring process is lacking. There are mechanical aptitude tests & others out there that can help gauge ones ability or skill level. There should be some type of screening process in place.

Comment

I would question the company I am working for then.

Comment

Originally posted by HogHunter34 View Post
                    Sounds like the hiring process is lacking. There are mechanical aptitude tests & others out there that can help gauge ones ability or skill level. There should be some type of screening process in place.
                    I've ask in meetings several times about having an aptitude test. I've taken Exxon and valero's test.. most of our interview questions are "tell me a time" they want to know you will tattle tell on a co worker and do what they say even if it's wrong . We have some great guys and fast learners this case happens to be nepotism. Plant managers nephew.

Comment

What I find sad is the lack of common sense and mechanical ability our young people have these days.

I was shocked the other day while visiting a local college to speak with them about their welding program. I wanted to see if they could provide us some good candidates for open roles. The teacher was excited to tell me about a new robotic welder they had that runs off a playstation controller or an IPhone. What is this world coming to.

Comment

I've ask in meetings several times about having an aptitude test. I've taken Exxon and valero's test.. most of our interview questions are "tell me a time" they want to know you will tattle tell on a co worker and do what they say even if it's wrong . We have some great guys and fast learners this case happens to be nepotism. Plant managers nephew.
                        That explains a lot. Many companies some times focus more on finding a good cultural fit that they overlook skill set. In fact I’ve seen articles about some CEOs look for cultural fit with intentions of offering the proper training to develop someone. Problem is most companies idea of proper training can be very lacking and it becomes a sink or swim

Comment

Originally posted by HogHunter34 View Post
                          That explains a lot. Many companies some times focus more on finding a good cultural fit that they overlook skill set. In fact I’ve seen articles about some CEOs look for cultural fit with intentions of offering the proper training to develop someone. Problem is most companies idea of proper training can be very lacking and it becomes a sink or swim
                          That's it in a nut shell.. our training is a joke it takes 6 months to a year for a top notch hand to learn one of our units. They expect you to learn in 6 weeks and the other guys to help you until u get it.. we learn 4 units and a tank farm. And rotate jobs.

Comment

Working...
                          X