RECOVERED! Tracked and bayed 16 hours after shot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RECOVERED! Tracked and bayed 16 hours after shot

Rosie and I got a call Saturday night from a gentleman that stated his 13 year old son had shot a nice buck that they could not find. After some discussion, we decided to wait until the next morning to track.

Rosie and I started the track around 7am. This was going to be a tough track. There was little blood at the hit sight, the hunter wasn't sure where the deer was hit and not completely sure which way it ran. Rosie started off hot and heavy and things looked good at first, but as time went on she seemed to be "on again, off again" and after two and a half hours and over a mile of tracking, I felt like this may not have been a fatal wound.

We decided to work the woods back towards the trucks and it became clear Rosie was still on track. After another 30 minutes of tracking, I could see Rosie was closing in on a deer. I could see a flash of antlers through the brush and thought "This must be the deer". She gave chase and ended up nose to nose with this bruiser and kept him at bay until I could catch up. After being trailed for 3 hours and a short stand off, the deer fell from exhaustion and I was able to put it down with my pistol. Upon inspection, the original shot was low and had broken the front leg of this buck.

After a 3 hour track and more than a mile of tracking later, I was able to call my customer, who had already started toward the truck, and let him know the buck his son shot had been recovered. This was a fantastic buck, scoring 156 1/4. I am so glad we were able to put this trophy into this young man's hands!
    Attached Files

Congrats on a great recovery.

Comment

JT, you and Rosie did well. Congrats to you on the find and the young man for a trophy.

Comment

Congrats to Rosie on the tracking job

Comment

Now that’s a success story ! Nothing beats a dog for finding wounded game.

Comment

Atta girl, Rosie!

Comment

Awesome recovery and buck!

Comment

Great job for the kid and a super confidence boost in and for Rosie.

Comment

Great Job. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Congrats to you, dog, and hunter. Well done!

Comment

Great job!! And what a great deer!

Comment

For future reference, where are you located? Congrats!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Thank your dog for a job well done and you for putting him out of his misery. Everyone loves a happy ending

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Comment

Great job, Nice story.

Comment

With that hunters shot, you did the deer a favor. Awesome dog work there!

Comment

Working...
                              X