• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Archery1st View Post
    It will turn your deer into coke heads.

Get him to rehab quick

Comment

Originally posted by bigbad243 View Post
      I have been dreaming up and auger system feeder to feed stuff like this. Only one out there is a cheap wildgame feeder.
      An Auger System will not work with a standard motor..the motor does not have enough torque to break loose the powder once it packs. I was able to get it to work with pellets with an inverted funnel. But the cost of a motor with enough torque to break loose the powder is too expensive.
      Attached Files

Comment

Maybe we need to invent/mass produce an auger feeding system and sell it to the masses? I smell opportunity for some green!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

put some corn on top of the Rice Bran and they will recognize it as food. I had to do that at first with our deer and it helped.

Comment

An Auger System will not work with a standard motor..the motor does not have enough torque to break loose the powder once it packs. I was able to get it to work with pellets with an inverted funnel. But the cost of a motor with enough torque to break loose the powder is too expensive.

What kind of feeder is that Bruce?

Comment

I have used it to make beer, but haven't tried it with deer. Rice Bran is what's in most light beers. Gives alcohol without the carbs.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                What kind of feeder is that Bruce?
                It's one I built..I've been working on a feeder to feed Rice Bran for years. It only took 7 tries to figure it out.

Comment

Rice Bran works like a charm in Hopkins county, my bucks come to it just about every day. Trust me you will need more than a coffee cans amount out there, I normally put 50lbs out at each feeder as long as there isn't a rain in the near future.

For those of you having trouble getting deer started on the bran try covering the brand with corn and I bet they will take to it. It has a strong odor to it and I've sat multiple times and watched does and bucks ease up to the pile not quite sure what they are smelling only to try it and look like coke heads!

Comment

It's one I built..I've been working on a feeder to feed Rice Bran for years. It only took 7 tries to figure it out.
                    Are you getting similar results with the pellets? Seems my deer prefer the powder wayyyy more than the pellets.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                      I've tried the powder in a spin feeder and it just made a mess in the feeder and all over the control unit. Plus I want it in piles. I don't want a thin layer of dust spread out over the ground or blowing in the wind.

I'm with you on the spin feeders! It just will make a mess and not pile it up for the deer to eat. I just ordered some more. I've got a few bucks coming to it now on my East Texas lease. It's close to my house so I can keep piles out there. It's the West Texas lease where I'd like to find a way to keep feeding the bran.

Comment

Originally posted by texaswoods5 View Post
                        Does anyone know where to buy it around San Marcos? I've bought it at tractor supply but I think I paid 20 something for 5o# .
                        You need to find unstabilized rice bran. It's $10 or less. I've never found it at tractor supply. I get mine at The Feed Store in Georgetown.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Comment

it will make a mess. i put it in there as a feeder topper and all it did was dust the feeder pen.......it looked like my feeder was on fire....and made a mess on the spinner box.

Comment

Originally posted by knighttime View Post
                            Are you getting similar results with the pellets? Seems my deer prefer the powder wayyyy more than the pellets.
                            They eat the pellets well just like protein...but they will walk by pellets, Alfalfa, Cotton Seed and corn to eat the Rice Bran powder.

Hence the reason. I have been working on this so long.

Comment

Livingston Feed has PB and Persimmon Flavor. I have had the best luck with PB. They love it! Hogs don't take to it as fast as they do Corn, so I move the piles around and seem to have luck outside of Feed pens, although I do have one spot where the hogs will come within an hour or two of dumping it!

Comment

Originally posted by offthemap View Post
                                Absolutely works. Mix in 1pk of family sized strawberry jellow an one bag of brown sugar and then just spread it out.

This guy knows what he is talking about!

Comment

Working...
                                X