Texas trophy hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Texas trophy hunting

Yes some will disagree, but in my eyes there are serious bragging rights to anyone who can take a buck off of public land in texas. I hold it up there as one of my top goals as far as hunting. With that being said this is my first year going the public land route. I've done some early scouting and I'm getting excited but I feel under prepared. Any tips or tricks as far as what kind of setup you use or what time you get there. Any info for a hunter looking to gain some knowledge?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I'll be hunting the caddo creek unit and the duck cove unit.

Comment

Worthy goal, I'd like to achieve that myself. I dont know anything about our public lands so all I can offer is ...best of luck, be patient and dont be super selective.

Comment

What area are you huntin?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by sideways View Post
          What area are you huntin?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
          Caddo creek and duck cove.

Comment

Go further than you think you should and then go even farther

Most public land hunters stay within 300yds of the road

Public land deer are well educated so stealthiness and keeping your scent to a minimum

120” Public land buck beats a 150” routine feeder buck, at least as far as being an accomplishment
            Not a thing wrong with hunting a big buck over a feeder, just takes more effort to get a good public land buck IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
              Go further than you think you should and then go even farther

Most public land hunters stay within 300yds of the road

Public land deer are well educated so stealthiness and keeping your scent to a minimum

120” Public land buck beats a 150” routine feeder buck, at least as far as being an accomplishment
              Not a thing wrong with hunting a big buck over a feeder, just takes more effort to get a good public land buck IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              I 100% agree. A buck on public land beats a trophy buck on a ranch. But that's just my opinion. I've found a couple of watering holes and some areas where I saw the heaviest deer traffic were not far in. I'm wondering if this is just a summer pattern and once the hunting pressure increases I'm sure they will move in deeper and thicker.

Comment

Deer pattern the hunters way quicker than the hunters pattern the deer. Use that to your advantage. I killed several public land deer back when I was younger and willing to work a little harder to put meat in the freezer. Very rewarding.

Comment

Originally posted by Txbownut View Post
                  Deer pattern the hunters way quicker than the hunters pattern the deer. Use that to your advantage. I killed several public land deer back when I was younger and willing to work a little harder to put meat in the freezer. Very rewarding.
                  Any tips on what kinds of stands to pack in or tips for setting up? Should I be setting up where I think they will be or setting up on their way to where I think they will be?

Comment

Good luck. That’s a worthy goal. Only public land I’ll hunt is the western states. Life’s too short to chase a whitetail on public land in Texas.

Comment

Agree for sure, I missed a public land buck 16 years ago, and it still haunts me.

Comment

I'm with you, I have some nice petting zoo whitetails on my wall and none of them mean 1/10th as much to me as my shrimpy little public land DIY muley. I'm most likely going to be 100% public land this year tok and the challenge is awesome!

Good luck man!

Comment

Originally posted by DocHolliday View Post
                          Agree for sure, I missed a public land buck 16 years ago, and it still haunts me.
                          Let's hear the story. Details lol

Comment

Originally posted by Anthonysince94 View Post
                            Any tips on what kinds of stands to pack in or tips for setting up? Should I be setting up where I think they will be or setting up on their way to where I think they will be?

Go to YouTube and search " the hunting public " these guys have it figured out.
                            They use a lot of climbing sticks and tree saddles.

Comment

Working...
                            X