Lower back pain/Sciatica

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lower back pain/Sciatica

Who here has had it and was able to overcome it? It’s been going on too long (since late January) and I struggle to sleep at night and get locked up sometimes during the day too if standing too long. Lower left back above buttock area and can run down leg at times. Muscle relaxers and 800mg Ibuprofen only mildly helps sometimes. Chiro didn’t help the first 3-4 times and then COVID started so couldn’t go back. Thinking about trying my Chiro again.

Does anyone have other recommendations that helped them overcome the pain and feeling like someone had an ice pick stabbing you and also the random spasms that hurt like hell? Thx for info

I went through the same thing in January. Had X-rays and an MRI done. Diagnosis was spinal stenosis. Basically a narrowing of the spinal canal, any time the nerves get inflamed the press against the bone and cause pain. Did physical therapy 3 times a week for 3 months to strengthen the core muscles. PT also did traction and chiropractic during the sessions. It has helped tremendously as I wear a gun belt every day. Not completely pain free all the time but 95% of the time I am.

I try to keep up with the core exercises at home 2-3 times a week now. I need to drop 15-20 lbs as well but haven't been able to commit to that yet.

Comment

It sucks.

Comment

I’ve had the same issue since September of last year. I have had the same general work up that mww982 has had and the same diagnosis, but I also have degenerative disk disease, bulging disks and some arthritis. Oddly enough, I also wear a gun belt daily which I believe is a significant part of the problem, as well as genetics and being hard on my body over the years. I go to the chiropractor every other Friday and it helps quite a bit. That said though, the first chiropractor I used didn’t seem to be as effective so maybe try a different one of those too.

What we have finally settled on medication wise is one over the counter naproxen and two Tylenol morning and evening with additional Tylenol if needed during the day. Most of the time I don’t have to take anything additional but admittedly I hurt when I wake up and usually am hurting by the time I go to bed.

Comment

I have two herniated discs that I have had for years. I have been to 2 surgeons and they both told me that if I am not in constant pain, then forego surgery. I have times where I couldn't get off the floor for a couple days, and varying levels of little to moderate pain in between. I go to a chiropractor regularly, basically for routine maintenance and to make sure my alignment is good. I have really worked on strengthening my core and back and that seems to have helped a lot. If I have a "flare up" an inversion table seems to provide pretty effective immediately relief for me. Of course everyone is a little different and what works for me may not work for you. Good luck.

Comment

I have a grade 2 spondylolisthesis (look it up) and have seen a chiro since my early 20’s. Basically creates an unstable back and I have symptoms very similar to what you guys described. I am now 47 and I can tell you for certain...not all chiro’s are created equally. Visit around until you find one you like. Core exercises and stretching will help tremendously as well as regular adjustments.

Good luck

Comment

For years my lower back gave me trouble. 2 discs and spinal stenosis. Had ESI's several times and that worked pretty well. Took lots of nsaids, occaisionaly narcotics. At the time i was about 50 lbs overweight. After a minor (if there is any such thing) cardiac event wher they opened one artery up,, and it was too small to stent, i began eating better and started exercising. Bought a mountain bike and found trails near my house. My grandson and me began riding several times a week. a year later i was down to 218 lbs or so after weighing as high as 260. Noticed my back wasn't bothering me much, finally i dont have any low back pain anymore. Mine never got into my legs, but sometimes it was very difficult to stand up straight.
              I remember watching Nolan Ryan pitching, between innings he would ride a stationary bike to keep his lower back loose.
              Now my mid back is the problem, but cancer is responsible for that and i wish it was as easy as riding a bike. They wont let me ride, as weakened vertabrae could easily break and leave me paralyzed if i crash.

I hope you guys can get some relief, because i know how much pain you can have, and how hard it is to get by on a daily basis. Good luck

Comment

I have had same issue for years. So many Dr's and finally someone suggested a muscle Dr vs regular. You need to make sure and stretch your piraformis daily. Get a lacrosse ball and watch videos. It will hurt like hell but a few times of this with some ibuprofen or any other anti inflammatory. In 2 weeks you will be a new man.

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk

Comment

I lived with on and off pain since 1987, but on May 27, 2020, I had 5.5 hours worth of back surgery. I could no longer deal with the pain. In 1987 I fell of a two story building and landed flat on my back. Did not think much of it, just dusted the dirt off and went about what I was doing. A few months later I reported for football camp and during a two a day practice was speared in the back by a practice player. I lost feeling in my feet and was rushed to the hospital. Xrays revealed 4 fractured vertebrae. They told me at the time the fall probably fractured them and the hit caused shifting that put pressure on my nerves, causing the loss of feeling. Back in the stone ages I was told no more football and surgery was optional. They wanted to fuse my spine and told me I would live with pain with or without the surgery. I said,”no thanks”. For 33 years the pain was constant and would go from I cannot stand up straight to just feeling like a bee stung me in the back. I struggled to walk around for long periods of time without breaks and such. I have been a workout warrior my whole life and this helped to keep the bad times from happening as often. Fast forward to November 2019 and it got bad again. It did no go away within two weeks so I sought help. I tried Arrosti with no success. I went to pain Dr. and got injections in my back with no success. Finally I went to a nuerosurgeon that sent my for an MRI and XRays. When I went for the follow up the Dr. told me that he had only seen two backs with my condition in 20+ years. He told me he highly recommended surgery but it was my body and as long as I could live with the pain, I could. I elected to have surgery and called him in March but had to wait until May because Hospitals were not letting elective surgeries take place. Anyways, my point is, get it checked out by a professional. You do not have to live in constant pain. The rehab is coming along and I am now walking between 4-7 miles a day without my quads locking up and my legs becoming wobbly. Find a good neurosurgeon geon, have them look at it, listen to your options, and do what is best for your health. Again, you do not have to deal with the constant pain.
                  I

Comment

Get an inversion table, hang upside down to take the pressure off of those nerves.
                    Only way I can get any relief.
                    Have had Sciatica for a couple years.
                    Main thing is relieve the pressure before going to bed.

Comment

These stretches helped me.

The telltale symptoms of sciatic nerve pain are severe pain in your back, buttocks, and legs. The pain can be so excruciating that you don’t even want to leave the couch. But relief is possible. Try these 9 stretches for sciatic pain relief.

Comment

PT help mine several years ago. A good physical therapist can look at your cat scan/ xrays and they will have good idea if they can help you. Nobody needs to live with constant pain. Prayers for to to find some relief!

Comment

Originally posted by Choppa311 View Post

The telltale symptoms of sciatic nerve pain are severe pain in your back, buttocks, and legs. The pain can be so excruciating that you don’t even want to leave the couch. But relief is possible. Try these 9 stretches for sciatic pain relief.

These stretches really helped me also when I had some serious sciatic pain last fall/winter. Did them several times a day for a few weeks and have been mostly pain free since with no Dr or chiro visits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I haven't had back problems in years. When I was in construction it was constant. Every morning before work and night before bed I would have my wife push each knee up toward the opposite shoulder as far and as long as I could take it. It helped mine.

Comment

Really appreciate the recommendations and well wishes. It does suck and I’m ready to start exercising and stretching more to see if that works. Never had anything like it as I’ve always been in pretty good shape but not the last couple years. Time to get a few pounds off and get back in the gym and really stretch more than anything.

Comment

Working...
                              X