Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need ideas for building Ugly Drum Smokers

Has anyone bought this kit for one?

Transform your culinary creations with Big Poppa Smokers! Elevate every dish with our premium sauces, winning rubs, top-notch accessories and high quality smokers. Your food just got better with Big Poppa Smokers – where flavor meets perfection. Unleash the chef in you and savor the difference

I'll probably build more than one. Already located some food grade barrels.
    Attached Files

StanR has had some good threads on building him. I helped him build me 2. No kit. I think we used a 22" weber replacement grill and he fabbed a basket for charcoal/wood that could be sat on the bottom for smoking or hung from hooks up higher for grilling.

Comment

Thanks man. I'll do a search for them.

Comment

I looked into the kit also. I ended up doing it all myself, but i dont think i saved that much. But i like doing it myself better anyways. Deffinately build it with 2 cook levels. I use it that way quite often. Smoked wings is one of my favorites to do here lately.

I did lots of youtube watching and took ideas from a couple different ones to put mine together.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Part Timer; 06-23-2017, 10:07 AM.

Comment

Thanks for sharing. That looks very nice.

Comment

Google

Once you get an idea of parts you need, head to hardware store and gather up what you need

Not anything complicated about them

Comment

Thanks. Wonder about adding holes for couple pieces of rebar to place horizontal when hanging ribs or whole chickens?

Comment

Originally posted by BaconIsMyFriend View Post
                Thanks. Wonder about adding holes for couple pieces of rebar to place horizontal when hanging ribs or whole chickens?
                Shouldn't hurt a thing

Comment

I built mine using that kit. It is well worth the cost. Their charcoal basket design is awesome because you can raise it and use it as a charcoal grill.

Comment

I still haven't built one and this kit seems like an easier way to get the job done. The only thing I don't like is the lid. I think I'd prefer the weber lid for additional headroom.

Comment

I also used the kit and it is dead simple. Even comes with templates for drilling holes. I have thought about doing another for my dad using pieced together hardware, but we are going to do the kit again because it is so easy. One thing I did do was but a new drum that was powder coated to skip the step of grinding out the liner. Saved many hours there from what I have read.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Comment

On red lined, food grade barrels am wondering about just doing a good hot pre burn (or two) instead of grinding or bead blasting the inside. Is the food safe lining mainly for rust prevention?

Comment

Check out some of them out on YouTube

Comment

Originally posted by BaconIsMyFriend View Post
                            On red lined, food grade barrels am wondering about just doing a good hot pre burn (or two) instead of grinding or bead blasting the inside. Is the food safe lining mainly for rust prevention?
                            When considering doing this myself it sounded like people had varying success with burn outs. I remember reading that using a weed burner in addition to the burn out process helped with the liner.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Comment

I made mine to hang sausage in. Cut about eight holes on each side and slide rebar through. It will hold a lot.

Comment

Working...
                              X