Lake Buchanan fishing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lake Buchanan fishing?

I'm taking the family up to Lake Buchanen to spend a few days in the area. I'll probably drag the boat up, and try to do a little fishing while we're there.

if anyone has any general tips, they'd be appreciated! can you soak the freshwater equivalent of a croaker for stripers?

If anyone wants to do any saltwater spot swapping I'd be happy to help with that.

Fishing on Buchanan has been tough. Lot of the fish went into Inks and LBJ when the flood gates opened in Sept and Oct. That being said still lots of fish. Look at the trees in the main Channel. they are in the tops. Fish above them. Gizzards work better in the summer time and are easier to keep alive. Also downriggers work extremely well this time of yr

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
      Fishing on Buchanan has been tough. Lot of the fish went into Inks and LBJ when the flood gates opened in Sept and Oct. That being said still lots of fish. Look at the trees in the main Channel. they are in the tops. Fish above them. Gizzards work better in the summer time and are easier to keep alive. Also downriggers work extremely well this time of yr
      if you were going to do a fishing trip/vacation, would you recommend inks or LBJ then? we're not dead set on Buchanan, we would just like to spend a few days in that general area.

Comment

I fished Belton about a month ago, smaller lake, caught good fish.

Comment

Fish the underwater dock lights at night for hybrids, medium running crankbait was working last week.

Comment

Don’t go to inks or Lbj on the weekends way to busy. Fishing is still good on buck it’s just tough this time of year.

Comment

If the wind is blowing, you don’t want to be on Buch. We fish it every year with a guide for striper. Use your electronics to find deep humps that hold schools. Or you can beat the banks early to catch the schooling fish in the shallows.

Comment

Is the boat landing finished on Inks? It was being upgraded.

Comment

Originally posted by kyle1974 View Post
                  if you were going to do a fishing trip/vacation, would you recommend inks or LBJ then? we're not dead set on Buchanan, we would just like to spend a few days in that general area.

I would fish inks during the week. Preferably Tues day and Wed. You can launch next to the old catfish barge next to the biker bar for 10. You couldn't pay me to get on LBJ right now.

Comment

LOL... sounds like the lakes are almost as bad as the bays down here on the weekends. Pretty sure Im getting missiles installed on my next boat.

Comment

LOL... sounds like the lakes are almost as bad as the bays down here on the weekends. Pretty sure Im getting missiles installed on my next boat.

Buchanan isn't that bad even on weekends. Its so open that people get scared of her with the slightest breeze. The north end is the most crowded. Down by the **** is usually a lonely place

Comment

Sweet. I have a pretty good sized bay boat so I’m not too worried about chop as long as we can get to some protected water.

Comment

I would fish inks during the week. Preferably Tues day and Wed. You can launch next to the old catfish barge next to the biker bar for 10. You couldn't pay me to get on LBJ right now.
                          Supposedly there have been 2-3 deaths on LBJ over the past week or two. Don’t know the details...

Comment

Originally posted by Mule Skinner View Post
                            Supposedly there have been 2-3 deaths on LBJ over the past week or two. Don’t know the details...
                            3 in 3 days last weekend I heard. Saturday morning my son and I were going to fish up the Colorado but Game Wardens had it blocked off with divers in the water about 3/4 mile up from the bridge. Sad deal.

Comment

Buchanan isn't that bad even on weekends. Its so open that people get scared of her with the slightest breeze. The north end is the most crowded. Down by the **** is usually a lonely place
                              Brandon - How much do you charge for a half day boat ride? I want to take my daughter and wife up river to see waterfalls etc. I fished that area tons in the past but my boat is down south right now.

Sweet. I have a pretty good sized bay boat so I’m not too worried about chop as long as we can get to some protected water.
                              Where are you staying? I'd launch in Tow and go all the way up to the State Park. It's 10 miles or so by water. Stop at the waterfalls etc.. Catch some bait under them. If catfishing then use live shad and throw a few jug lines out. Rod and reel fish the main channel where water comes out of a cove. Up river 4 miles on the right is a good one.

I can't help with stripers as I don't spend time on the main lake.

Comment

Working...
                              X