SD card size?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SD card size?

How big do go when it comes to SD Cards? I was thinking 16 GB but could I get away with 8? I've been buying older used trail cams... Nothing fancy or high quality.

I'm not too familiar with trail cams, either, and haven't had time to tinker or play with them. I believe there is a 10 second delay or setting on some of them so they aren't just taking crazy amounts of pics? So if I've got 10 second delay, or 15 or whatever, how many pics would it take in 1 month?

Thanks in advance.

Depends on the camera and amount of activity you have at your setup . Some cameras will set there and fill up a card quickly just steadily taking pictures of nothing.And you want have any pictures of any game on them . And yes I even have a browning trail came that does that very same thing. If you have a good trail camera that takes pictures of game and only game a 8 gig is plenty. I usually set my camera at a minute delay if it’s on a feeder and 15 sec on a trail .

Comment

What brand cameras do you have ?

Comment

I've been using a 16 GB myself, just because I didn't know up front what to get. And, my cam isn't getting much activity either. I have had a 2 GB fill up though over a few weeks.

Comment

I like 16 GB. I will always make it back to the lease before a 16 GB fills up.

Comment

16 will work in most any camera. I used them in all of mine. The number of pics will depend on how many animals trigger the camera. A 15 second delay doesn't mean it takes a pic ever 15 seconds. If a deer walks in front of you camera a it takes a pic then it won't take another one for at least 15 seconds. At that time something will have to move and trigger the camera again.
            Last edited by AntlerCollector; 05-13-2019, 01:42 PM.

Comment

I have always used 8’s. And at times there are plenty of pictures and videos to look at. Last time I checked my Spypoint I had 2000 videos on it. Took forever to view them. Gotta extend the delay on it. 8’s are cheaper too.

Comment

Make sure you look at the manufacturer of the camera to see if there is a limit on what size you can put in it. Not sure exactly how it works but something about how the SD card stores the information on the larger sized SD cards does not let the type of file the camera makes to be stored on the card.

Comment

Oh and I use 16 GB because they are the largest I can put in my camera. The ONLY time I maxed it out was when it was on video mode. Every other time I use less than 5 GB. The good 16 gb are like 7 bucks on amazon.

Comment

Thanks everyone for the input. Hoss163, sorry for not getting back to you. I forgot to look at them last night to tell you which one's I've got. I know most of them are browning's. I have 1 primos and 1 moultrie. I have 2-4 of another brand but can't remember. I've purchased 10 from 3 different people so in the madness of doing all this I'm a bit confused and can't remember what's what.

I ended up going with 16 GB. I purchased 2 lots of 5 for $24 off Amazon....so under $50 for 10. Not bad. They're class 10 Scan Disk. I have 2 others at the house...may be buying a few more trail cams. I'd like to have 1 on every 100 acres and I have 1,500 acres with roughly 1,300 huntable.

Comment

The megapixel on the camera is what fills up the card. The higher the resolution (megapixel) the more room it take up on the card. For instance a 5mp camera with 16gb card you will get 30,000 pictures where a 12mp camera with a 16gb card you will get 5,000 pictures. I run 2 Bushnell 12mp cameras and run 32gb cards in them. I will get 6,000 to 8,000 pictures a month. We do however check them every couple of weeks. I hope this helps. Oh and also get twice as many cards as you have cameras so you can take one out and put one in. This way you can take them home and go through as you have time. Running 10+ cameras it going to take you some time to go through them all.

Comment

Originally posted by Fordnandez View Post
                        Make sure you look at the manufacturer of the camera to see if there is a limit on what size you can put in it. .

This.....^

There is a GB max on some and some will not allow less than 4GB. I have 8 and 16GB for my cameras currently. I'll be switching to all 16 and 32s when these 8s die. They work fine for what I do but they are running on 4-5 years old...plus with the new Browning Strike Force Pros, the 8GBs don't hold as many pics as my Moultries did....even on the low pixels. I have to make sure I put them in the low pic count cameras..

So to answer your question....check your cameras for their specs. 16GB is a nice happy medium for newer cameras. 32GB is on the larger side usually

I buy mine off Ebay...I've had real good luck with Transcends since 2008.

Comment

Working...
                        X