Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

30mm or 1" Tube on Leupold vx-3i 4.5-14x40 ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

30mm or 1" Tube on Leupold vx-3i 4.5-14x40 ?

Trying to decide which scope to put on my wife's new Weatherby Camilla 6.5 Creedmoor. This rifle will not be used for long range competition and the furthest realistic shot for hunting purposes will be no more than 350 yards. Does a 30mm tube help pull in any additional light?

For the stated use the only thing the 30mm will gain you is the side focus (which I like and use).

I’ve got 4 or 5 vx3i’s in both the 1” and 30mm. I prefer the 30mm. Not much more money. Side focus. If you wanted to switch it over to a gun for longer range shooting (or shoot longer ranges with the 6.5 that it sits on) you have that capability.

You gain some features and flexibility for a few more dollar bills.

Comment

Originally posted by RdRdrFan View Post
      For the stated use the only thing the 30mm will gain you is the side focus (which I like and use).

I’ve got 4 or 5 vx3i’s in both the 1” and 30mm. I prefer the 30mm. Not much more money. Side focus. If you wanted to switch it over to a gun for longer range shooting (or shoot longer ranges with the 6.5 that it sits on) you have that capability.

You gain some features and flexibility for a few more dollar bills.
      What does the side focus do?

Comment

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post

It functions similarly to the focus ring your binoculars.

Comment

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
          Parallax adjustment

Comment

Originally posted by Sackett View Post
            Trying to decide which scope to put on my wife's new Weatherby Camilla 6.5 Creedmoor. This rifle will not be used for long range competition and the furthest realistic shot for hunting purposes will be no more than 350 yards. Does a 30mm tube help pull in any additional light?
            It’s not about the light gathering capabilities, it’s about MOA “clicks”. 30mm scopes will usually have a larger internal adjustment range, making them better suited for long range target shooting and long range hunting. 34mm tubes have more adjustment range than a 30mm scope. Compare the MOA adjustments of both Leupold scopes you’re interested in to see the difference.

Reticle choice is also important, will your wife be adjusting the turret knobs to dial in yardage ? Or will she be using holdover from a mil-dot or Christmas tree type reticle ?

Comment

Scopes don't "pull in" light. They restrict light. Some restrict less than others.

Difference between 1" and 30mm tube is not enough to matter for your purposes.
              Objective Dia will have more effect on Low Light performance, but if you go too big and have to mount it really high, it may not fit your wife well. Pros/Cons

Comment

30 looks cooler for what it’s worth . Click image for larger version

Name:	A02A168C-1B79-44AD-8949-86FFC2FBF8E1.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	123.2 KB
ID:	24579373

Comment

Thanks guys, I'm going with the traditional duplex reticle to "KISS". I figure one less thing she has to focus on during the shot process, the better. She won't be taking any shots further than 200 yards and I'll have it sighted in 1" high at 100, so 200 yards will only see a slight drop. I might use it to shoot past 300, but that will be very seldom.

Comment

Seems that quality 30mm rings are easier to find

Comment

I'd use a 1" tube on a hunting rifle.

Comment

If you can't get the 1" with side focus I'd go 30mm.

Comment

I am slowly weeding out all my scopes and going to VX 3I..
                          Two 4.5X14X50 and one 3.5x15x50. All for hunting and 1" tube.

Comment

Like Blake said, turret adjustment range is typically wider. Light transmission IS THE SAME if the components are equal. The other advantage would be a larger Flied of view at the same stated power level and this largely depends on the scope and how built.

If you look through two high end scopes at the same power a 1 inch tube will be like looking through a straw compared to say a 34mm, etc.

Comment

Working...
                            X