Thompson Temple- your experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Azzy View Post
    I hear that a lot also and is what I am a bit worried about. As far as accommodations. I don't care because we like camping so we could set up and tent and be more than happy and comfortable. Or my ranch is about an hour away with a decent cabin and could drive to sleep and eat there.

I'm more of looking at how hard of a hunt it is. I want it to be atleast a bit challenging so I will be climbing the mountain.
    You can shoot a tame goat at the bottom of the mountain or you can hike to the top and be out of breath while you shoot a tame goat.

Comment

Originally posted by TxTechBowhunter View Post
      You can shoot a tame goat at the bottom of the mountain or you can hike to the top and be out of breath while you shoot a tame goat.

Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by hoghunter69 View Post
        for a bachelor party i wouldnt waste time at thompson's, check out cactus creek bowhunters in nixon, nice exotics and alot of hogs at great prices, you can be the only group at the ranch, two nice bunk houses. feeders and stands already set out, just make sure you take your own water, they have well water that smells like rotten eggs but a pretty cool place.

I love cactus creek. Last time I was there, the water had gotten better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

LMAO!

Comment

Lol, my thoughts exactly. I hunted on a few of Thompson's ranches when I was a kid for goats. Basically pick out the one you want and then its over. No blind needed. Shooting tame goats that just stand there ruined it for me.

Comment

Well than. Guess we might just be going fishing lol

Comment

I had one of my best hunting trips ever there. The accommodations were awesome for the price. Of course this was about 30 years ago. We stayed in the house Thompson now lives in. The goats lived in the trailer house and A-frame hunters stay in now. The rams were $125 each no matter what size. I went with a group of 12 family members. That is what made it so great.

Comment

That being said, I won't ever go back. It ain't what it was back then.

Comment

I drive by his place 2-3x a week. Makes me sick looking at it every time...

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkpuppy 1 View Post
                      I drive by his place 2-3x a week. Makes me sick looking at it every time...
                      Looks like what I imagine the surface of the moon is like.

Comment

Thompson Temple- your experience

I just got back on Sunday with my group of 15.
                        The accommodations are old and dirty. Need a facelift and cleaning however we slept and showered in them with the exception of one buddy and his son.
                        We never hunted the "big" part of the ranch, only hunted the "small pasture", other than sitting at the overlook where we killed one hog.
                        Yes there are rams less wild than others. None would let you pet or hand feed them. What made it fun for us was we would pick out a specific ram and go after it, don't just pick a specific color tag and shoot it. Most times we stalked the rams up, down, and across that hill many times before being presented with a decent shot. We were hunting with rifle, pistol, and crossbow.
                        Thompson was a great host especially with the kiddos. Several of the kids got their first animal, some got their first trophy.
                        In all we killed 13 rams and one hog. 5 were solid gold medal rams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Here's just a few I have on my phone.
                          My sons bighorn cross out of Thompson's Breeding program

Nephews silver medal Corsican

Buddies sons first kill, gold medal

Another buddies gold medal, pics don't do this ram justice.

First kill

Missed gold by less than an inch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Cousin and I went almost 20 years ago. Bunkhouse wasn't the worst I had stayed in but was pretty rough. Rams on top of the mountain were wild and crazy, down low were tame. Thompson was a very nice guy and I shot my first bow animal that weekend. That said, I wouldn't go back.

Comment

Working...
                            X