Trailer Care? Preserving the wood.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trailer Care? Preserving the wood.

Just got a new trailer. Wanting to seal the wood. What have you been using? Thinking out door deck sealer, or marine polyurethane. Any advise?

I just mop on the used oil out of my pickup once a year. Finally replaced my deck wood after 14yrs a couple weeks ago.

Comment

Another vote for used motor oil. Gives it an awesome color also.

Comment

This is Texas...….
        High U.V. protection...….

Comment

I use oil or diesel fuel. It also keeps everyone who needs to move from borrowing it.

Comment

About 6 months ago I completely refurbished my utility trailer. After doing some research I used this "Copper-Green" wood preservative on the decking

(HD didnt have it in stock - they ordered it for me)

It is oil based and contains copper naptheneate. It is rated for below ground applications so it should last a very long time on trailer decking. It applies easily with a pump-up garden sprayer and one gallon was more than enough for my 12 footer. It will turn the boards slightly green - about the color of pressure treated lumber. The only downside is the smell - very strong while applying and will linger for a week or so.

Comment

I need to replace the floor in my 16 footer.
              I haven't done anything to it and the floor lasted 9 years.
              It sits outside 365 days a year.
              I am going back with pressure treated lumber this time.

Comment

So if you use pressure treated lumber is there anything else you can put on the wood to help preserve it?

Comment

I use old fish fry oil on mine. Boards are still good on a 15 year old trailer.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

Semi trailer flat beds use Apitong wood

As Always My Heart is filled with Love for you and Your Families. Not because I am commanded to Love my Neighbor but because I can, am able to and it brings me Joy.

Comment

I would NOT advise using used motor oil, or any oil for that matter. I coated my 20' trailer with used oil from my F250 after a fluid change a couple months ago. NEVER AGAIN will i make that mistake. After getting back from a CO elk hunt, i went to unload the trailer after an overnight rain. After getting on top of the trailer, i took a step with a 75 lb box in my arms and my feet slipped on the extremely slick surface of the wood and i fell right on the trailer rails with the box landing on top of me. As soon as i have time, the trailer is getting new boards.

Comment

Used motor oil and cut it with diesel put it in a pump sprayer coat the floor. Let it sit in the sun for about a week then spray it again. I do this about once a year to all my trailers

Comment

Originally posted by Pushbutton2 View Post

As Always My Heart is filled with Love for you and Your Families. Not because I am commanded to Love my Neighbor but because I can, am able to and it brings me Joy.
                          Apitong is some good looking stuff especially if treated with apitong oil , I think for the cost I will stick with 1/3 diesel 2/3 old motor oil but looks like a wonderful wood to deck with
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Pushbutton2 View Post

Apitong is some good looking stuff especially if treated with apitong oil/ tung oil @ $125 per gallon I think for the cost I will stick with 1/3 diesel 2/3 old motor oil till I need to replace my deck

P.s does anyone use ship lapped board decking your trailer
                            As I might try it out when I buy my CM flatbed for my truck

Comment

Used motor oil and roll it on, works great!

Comment

Working...
                              X