San Angelo SP Gun Deer Antlerless/spike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

San Angelo SP Gun Deer Antlerless/spike

WooHoo a friend from work, my youngest son (19) and I we drawn today for San Angelo SP Nov 12-14.

Bag limit is listed below - can anyone tell me likelihood of seeing or shooting an Axis? None of use have ever had the opportunity to harvest one. Also how's the whitetail hunting? As a spike and doe hunt racks don't matter. No hunting last year. The freezer is a little bare. So I'm hoping between my son and I we can help rectify that problem.

Legal
    Game/
    Bag
    Limits
    4 White-tailed Deer; Antlerless or Spike Buck; Limit One Spike Buck
    2 Javelina
    Unlimited Feral Hogs
    1 Exotic Mammals

Any advise on hunt area to try for or additional park information is greatly appreciated.

Happy Hunting everyone!

I got drawn to hunt turkey there 2 years ago. I hunted the unit that is immediately west of the river (unit 6, maybe?), and saw plenty of deer every morning and evening. In the evening, I would sit in the cleared electrical transmission line easement and the deer would come into it pretty thick every evening, and I also saw 1 axis doe and several groups of hogs. You shouldn't have any problem bringing some meat home.

Comment

We turkey hunted it 2 years ago. We hunted Unit 6 too and saw lots of deer. Never saw any axis. We also hunted another unit, don't remember the number, but it was the first one on the left as you leave the state park and drive toward Unit 6 and saw deer there too. My recommendation would be try to hunt one of the units that has the river as the boarder. Thicker cover and water there, but still plenty open to hunt out of a pop blind. Good Luck!!!

Comment

I drew for for San Angelo SP as well. This will be my first year hunting it. From talking with people seems like lots of deer, hogs, and a few javelina. Axis seems to be in small numbers, but are there.

Comment

Originally posted by thisisbeer View Post
          I drew for for San Angelo SP as well. This will be my first year hunting it. From talking with people seems like lots of deer, hogs, and a few javelina. Axis seems to be in small numbers, but are there.

Great - look forward to meeting you. We'll be camping onsite.

Comment

Which campsite will you be staying at?

Comment

Which campsite will you be staying at?
              I called yesterday. The ranger said the park will be closed except for the hunters. 2 weeks prior to the hunt we can call and make reservations. All hunters/campers will be in the main park area.

Comment

I will call. Thanks for the heads up.

Comment

I also drew the San Angelo state park hunt can’t wait. I will be tent camping, hoping to meet some of y’all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

There are a few axis but not many last I heard there was about 10 running around and I was told they’re mostly seen by the campsites. I’ve seen 2 in area 6/7 about 4 years ago. The east side of fm2288 tends to hold more deer because they don’t have archery hunts on that side but there is plenty of deer all over the place. I’ve been all over areas 1-7 over the years.

Comment

Does the axis have to be a doe as well?

Comment

Does the axis have to be a doe as well?
                        When I called it could be either. Whatever you can shoot. But only 1.

Comment

Me and Stoof drew this hunt. This will be my first time there, will be tent camping 11th-14th. I’ll post when I have my campsite, come on by and have a beer!

Comment

Originally posted by Ryango View Post
                            Me and Stoof drew this hunt. This will be my first time there, will be tent camping 11th-14th. I’ll post when I have my campsite, come on by and have a beer!

I will also be there I’ll make sure to come by.

Comment

New to the page. Found it searching for information on the park, I was also drawn for the November 12-14 hunt. I’ll be in a cabin #1. I’ll be hunting alone so I decided to make it easy on myself, brother-in-law backed out. Hope to meet some of you out there.

Comment

Working...
                              X