Limpopo South Africa! Part 4. The Buff!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Limpopo South Africa! Part 4. The Buff!

After I killed my big Stallion Zebra Monday morning, the 20th, I had 4 1/2 days to try and finish my hunt with the ultimate animal I was after, a Cape Buffalo. Garry and I had seen some while driving, but nothing they would let me shoot. And besides, everytime we stopped the truck or slowed down to think about a spot and stalk hunt, the booked it! None came into a water hole while we were sitting there either. Harry said from his observations most of the Buffs were hitting the water holes at might, but he did have an Ace up his sleeve or so we thought.

Some may not agree with this, but Harry and Garry had one particular stand that was light up like a parking lot with several flood lights and a small light inside the blind with a rheostat attached for a dim or bright light. This was for the Buff that only liked to come in at night to water.

We sat there Monday night but only had Blue and Golden Wildebeest and a big Sable come water. That same night a storm blew in from the west with high winds, rain, thunder and some wicked lightening. A good bolt hit the transformer right by the blind and everything went dark and the animals scattered. Unfortunately, lightning hit some line at the front of the property and knocked out all the electricity and wi fi to Harry's property. He had a backup generator to run some lights in the kitchen and outside so they could cook and we could eat. No water so no showers either as it had knocked out the watyer pump at the well. Electricity was finally turned back on Wed afternoon, but the wi fi was not back until Friday the 24th and I was already on my way back to the airport, so no communication with the wife for about 4 days.

No luck on seeing any Buff until mid morning on Wed the 22nd when Harry texted Garry and I while we were sitting in a blind not far from where Harry was. I spotted Harry kneeling besides the road with hi newly purchased 458 and i knew something was up. As we pulled up to him he put his finger to his lips to say "be quiet" and then whispered, "get your bow, we are doing this Indian style!" My heart started racing as i knew I may have found a needle in a haystack and could hopefully get a shot. Right as we started away from the truck, Harry turned to me and whispered, "if he charges, I will have to shoot him." I knew that without him having to tell me, but he just wanted to make sure I knew. He said this was a very big lone Bull with great horns and curl. It was very hot and he knew the Buff would not travel far before it woould seek some shade and feed. Harry led with Garry and his 470 double and me at the rear. We robably did not go 200-250 yards with the wind in our face when Harry and Garry stopped and looked through binos at a big black blob in a thick stand of trees. We moved to our left and got behind some brush and Harry turned and whispered that he could hear the Buff eating on the tree leaves and tender branches. We moved a little further to our left when Harry said to kneel down and move out from behind the brush but do not stand or move much. As i moved about 4-5' out to my left, I could finally make out the Buff in the thicket. He was facing to my right at 40 yards picking and grazing, but not clear enought for a shot. This thing was HUGE! He then picked his head up and looked directly at us and I thought, "he is going to charge and I am going to die!" Fortunatley he put his head back down and wnet back to feeding. 2 more steps and he is broadside at 40 yards. A Giraffe then came in from the right ans spooked him. He swapped ends and started out of the thicket going to ur right. When he cleared the tjhicket he stopped for a moment look out way and then moved behind some more brush and was completely hidden. Harry said do not stand up but try to get an arrow in him as he comes out. When his head cleared the brush, I drew, he stopped and looked our way, trotted a few more steps and then turned directly away from us as I shot. I shot him for 50 yards and surprisingly I hit him square in his right ham and the arrow disappeared. Yes, that arrow went all the way in. When he was processed, they found the fromt part of the shaft inside his stomach. I thne started shaking and trying to breath. Harry and Garry turned and looked at me and started laughing. both said my face was as white as a sheet!!!!!! We waited a little then started tracking him. We found some good blood fairly quick and desided to go back and have lunch and give him some time.

We gathered another PH, Johan and his 416 Rigby and started back on the track. It went for a ways with blood ever so often. We finally got close, 20-25 yards but the trees were so thick that I could not see him. Garry and Johan were to my right and they both motioned for me not to move. I saw Garry throw up his rifle and Johan took about 2 steps to his left raised his rifle and shot. I heard a big thud and knew the Buff was on the ground. Yes he was finished with a rifle but they all said the Buff was looking right in my direction and was going to charge if I had moved. He would have died with the blood loss and being shot in the stomach, but when and where? Was it a great shot and the right spot, NO, but it is what it is and at 50 yards an animal can turn several different directions in a hurry. Not the first time this happened to me in Africa. Why he centered on me I have no idea. We gathered together, backed up several yards to be safe and then started the high 5's.

As I walked up to a HUGE animal it struck me how magnificent they are up close. I could not even raise his horns and head. I was in disbelief at what we had just done and that my retiremnt hunt had ended with a trophy of a lifetime! I hope you enjoy the pics as i do everyday!

I will do a closing thread on my thoughts and recollections of this amazing hunt.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4119.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	751.3 KB
ID:	25263352

Name:	BYNP0430.jpg
Size:	163.6 KB
ID:	25263353

Name:	MHSF8424.JPG
Size:	469.3 KB
ID:	25263354

Congrats Doug! Great write up and that buff is the trophy of a lifetime.
    What an awesome trip and congrats again on your retirement.

Comment

Very nice sir. Huge congratulations!!!

Comment

Great story and man what a beast he is. Great curl and bosses.

Comment

Great hunt, congrats!! Bucket list one day

Comment

Congratulations that’s a awesome animal

Comment

Very nice. Do you take a back up bow or everything imaginable to repair your bow?

Comment

Originally posted by 1968 View Post
                Very nice. Do you take a back up bow or everything imaginable to repair your bow?
                Never had had a back up bow. I have strings just in case, plus other parts, but I have never had a bow malfunction on any out of state or out of country hunt.

Comment

Amazing animal! Congrats!

Comment

Great write up on the trip! Thanks for sharing. It is true, sometimes don't go as we hope and plan, but you have to roll with it when things go sideways!! Good job!

Comment

Congratulations on a really nice trophy. How old do you recon that monster is.

Comment

Wow! What a buff. I was with a buddy when he shot his buff with a recurve. Those are enormous critters!!!!

Congrats!!!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

Awesome animal! Congrats!

Comment

Working...
                              X