Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gut shot deer. A breakdown

As promised, here's the whole shebang.

As with any epic tale, starting at the beginning helps with understanding the big picture. So here goes. If you wanna skip to just last nights happenings, scroll down to the last couple paragraphs. Im gonna use my humor but that isn't much.

I started running my camera the last Sunday of October. I got the first pic of him the following Thursday. Of course, I was hunting him hard that Saturday.

The entire opening weekend was frustrating. I was ready....scent control was spot on, even trying that Gold blend that I saw at Academy, I'd sneak in quiet and did all the things like I always do. I enter my area from the south. The deer usually come in form North or East and this year every time I walked in or out, I'd push deer. When I was sitting, nothing would get close and when they did show up, they'd stare right at me or throw their nose in the air. Nothing closer than 60 yarrds. STARING at me. Makes no sense. I've put on 10 pounds since last season but my windows are the same size??? I'm even encrusting myself in golden spray. What the crap. Weekend was a bust.

So I sneak out of work last Tuesday10/5. I like hunting weekdays because those deer are smart....but I'm smarter. That's what amazing hunters do. Deer know weekends. For sure. So I decide to mix things up. I ditch the camo and go all black, I paint my ugly face black, I chunk that gold crap and use the ol trusty wildlife research spray, I park a mile away, loop way around and enter from the north, and get in fairly early. And hour later, small buck cruises right past my stand and hopped in the pen like it's no big deal. I told you I'm smart. Then a bigger buck walks up and does the same. 5 min later, big boy comes in and starts eating. So
    I stand up, wait for him to hard quarter away and release that arrow.

Then I hear the sound of metal on metal. Deer runs off unharmed. I hit the fence wire between us. I had him lined up and I just didn't get it right. I drive back home depressed. I've just educated that old deer. The only thing that made me feel better was seeing the look on all the peoples faces at the Decatur Taco Casa when I pulled they with black face on.

Last weekend I had to go to Arkansas and wasn't able to hunt. I thought it was ok, because great hunters let their spots rest. And I'm one of those.

So this weekend that we are currently in was gonna be a big weekend. I was actually getting my son away from his gf long enough to go with me and I'm really looking forward to it. But I wanted to get in another weekday hunt beforehand. So the plan was for Tuesday evening.

Tuesday rolls around and the boy dumps his gf. So I think I better stick close to make sure he's ok. We shoot bows all evening and no regrets. I'll go Wednesday.

Wednesday. Work happens.

Thursday gets here and I tell my wife that I'm gonna do and evening sit. I'm off Friday(today) for an afternoon golf tournament that she voluntold me I was attending. Super excited since I don't play golf. But that's ok, son has school so I'd have to come back anyway. The plan was to get in the stand at 4 yesterday and sit and head home after the hunt. Tee time is at noon she says.

So I follow same routine as last week-blacked out, trusty spray, mile parking, loop around and go in from the north.

About 6:00 the deer start coming. Little 10, then a doe and yearling, 2 more bucks. I'm watching. I'm texting my wife and friends in case they forgot that I'm the Dale Brisby of deer hunting. They had not, btw.

So I decide to count the bucks. I sit in the middle of my stupid little modified rifle blind so I have to lean to actually see my pen. So as I'm doing that and doing complicated math, I realize that that somebuck is standing under the feeder.

So I get up and get my crap together and wait. He's cool, the other deer are cool and I'm certainly the coolest. He goes broadside and I draw. Of course, he turns his arse to me and I am at full draw for longer that it takes your mom to eat dinner. Finally he finally gives me what I need. I send the arrow. It passes thru. He lunges forward and as he hops the fence I think I see a gapping hole right behind his shoulder. He hits the ground and stumbles and drops into a creek bottom and disappears. I wait. 31 minutes because I know better than most.

I pick up my arrow. It's practically clean. I look close and I see clear/brown coloring. I smell it. Smells like the bathroom after your moms supper we talked about. I go inspect the spot where he jumped out and I see thick red blood and corn. I back out.

I'm in my camper. I'm questioning my greatness. Should I seek another opinion? I don't know what to do but wait on the dogs. So I do. I watch Chicago PD, kids that Kill, and nearly buy the latest in countertop cooking technology.

Sunrise and I consider taking a quick look before the dog arrives at 8. But some pack of animals scream at me virtually and I decide not to because I was never gonna do it anyway.

Homeboy shows up and the dogs trail into the creek bottom and up the other side and there's my deer. DRT. DIDNT GO 40!! For real tho.

Shot was right where I thought. He bled good and quick. It did exit pretty far back so I'm assuming it his a rib or something and turned and hit his diaphragm.

Then we loaded him. I was on my way to the taxi when my wife called. Remember that golf tourney? Well this sure as hail wasn't part of the plan. Where the frick are you? What's taking so long? Turns out Recovering/loading/tagging and having yourself pointed I'm the direction of home by 8:45 isn't as efficient as it sounds. So did I get him rough scored? Did I take pics of entry/exit? Did I respond as quickly as you rascals wanted me to? No. And I'm still married so do with that what you will.

Currently, im in the truck, the boy is driving. I've got a deer of my lifetime, a round of golf and a gas station corn dog under my belt for the day and im pretty happy. Naps didn't happen, I lost all the range balls I stole and hopefully this young man will get on one tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats again. Beautiful buck. Thanks for the good write-up!

Comment

Congrats! Hopefully your driver gets one too!

Comment

That's a great buck. Glad you were able to find him.

Comment

Comment

Was the meat and cape still good? That’s a long time in this weather.

Comment

I guess the meat was not good laying overnight ? Nice buck, glad you found him.

Comment

Cape was still good. Meat was not. I took it to my favorite processor to ba caped and they made me pay a cape fee AND a processing fee even tho there's no meat. So that's frustrating.

Comment

Tagged to read later. Congrats on the deer!

Comment

That's one of the most unique write ups ever. That said, I can relate to every word of it.

I love the humor but in all seriousness, you did a bunch of stuff right and earned a second chance. Congrats sir, that's a giant buck.

Comment

Good stuff.

Comment

Glad those redneck hounds found it for you, those have to be some of the toughest hounds I know.

Comment

Way to make it happen. Now educate your wife on not scheduling you for crap like that during hunting season.

Comment

Man, what a wild 24 hours….Congrats on being willing to change the game plan, make adjustments, and killing a hell of a deer. Good luck to the boy this weekend!!!

Comment

Congrats on a giant! Awesome story.

Comment

Working...
                              X