Truck headrest gun rack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Truck headrest gun rack

I saw a set of these years ago for sale at a Bass Pro, but my hunting truck didn't have separate headrests in order to make them work. Since I switched hunting trucks this year, I could use a set of these now. The ones like what I wanted (2 gun rack) are almost non-existent or crazy expensive, and I didn't want the kind with fabric straps. Some smaller ones held the gun up too high and I didn't like how loosely they hung off the headrest supports. So, I decided to try and make my own.

Home Depot has 3/4" x 36" x 1/8" aluminum flat bars for $5/ea. I grabbed two thinking this would be enough to make two holders long enough to hold two guns. I was wrong! I have almost 20" left out of the 2nd bar, but that's wasn't enough to make 2 more sets of hooks. So, this ended up holding only one gun. I may try to add a 2nd set of hooks later. Maybe not.

I bent the hooks first since I didn't know how much of the bar they were going to use. I bent these using a 2" diameter piece of round bar. I had to come up with a way to help hold the bar while I bent it. It ain't pretty, but it worked.

From the start of the turn, out to the tip, is 6" long. I bent both hooks on each end of one flat bar, and then decided to just cut it in half. This left a 12" long "tail" for me to use to mount the hooks on the cross bars. The cross bars, that are held in place by the headrests, are 8" long. The hole spacing on my headrests is 5-7/8" center-to-center and I opened up the holes to 1/2" dia. This gives almost 1/8" of play as the headrest posts are slightly larger than 3/8". I used (2) 1/8" x 1/2" pop rivets to hold the two pieces together and the connection is pretty tight.

I've since added some 3/4" x 7/16" vinyl weather stripping to the inside of the hooks for padding. Not sure if this enough, but we'll see how it rides in a couple weeks.

One thing I have noticed, is this current setup will not hold shorter rifles like youth models or carbines. This is because the hooks are mounted in the center of the cross bars. I may move each hook 1-1/2" inward at a later date. It seems to hold my 22-250 just fine, but I haven't tried the AR in this yet. I think it's also a bit too far for my bow.

So far, I'm in this for less than $20 including the weather stripping.

Pretty slick !!

Comment

that's bad arse. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

I like that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Looks great you should plasti dip the hook portion to protect your stock/ barrel

Comment

Originally posted by Austin View Post
            Looks great you should plasti dip the hook portion to protect your stock/ barrel
            I was thinking the same thing.

Comment

I looked into the Plastic Dip. I have used the spray version of plastic dip and while it works well, it's tough to get a thick amount sprayed on. Local home improvement stores don't offer Plastic Dip in a can large enough to "dip" the hooks into to coat the bottom sections. They only have 14.5oz sizes and the can opening is only about 1-1/2" diameter.

You can get 1-gallon sizes of Plastic Dip online at sites like Amazon, but prices range anywhere from $60-$120 for a single gallon! That's a lot of money for something that I only have $10 in just the metal alone. I'd like to dip them and that was originally my plan, but the weather strip I got is almost 1/2" thick and should work just fine.

Comment

Try painting on the Plastic Dip from the small can with maybe a foam brush.

Comment

Slide heat shrink over them

Comment

^^ That was also an idea.

Comment

Looks good.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Whiskers View Post
                        Slide heat shrink over them
                        Mudhole.com has some heat shrink with a felt feel for wrapping rods. I use it on my flounder gig handles. It’ll do the trick for sure.

Comment

Update

I did end up moving the hooks towards each other 1-1/2" on each side.
                          This was easy enough to do as it was just drilling out the pop rivets and then drilling new holes.
                          Took less than 20 minutes.

The weather stripping appears to be working well so far and we hung my 22-250 off the hooks for a full weekend of working around the lease.
                          The AR fits well on there now also.

Comment

neat project. You could always get some clear rubber tubing and slide over the aluminum strap and then cap off the very end. That would make them more friendly to the finish on your firearms.

Comment

Nice setup.

Why do you have a crossbar at all? Why not just drill the whole large enough to slide over the headrest post?

Comment

Working...
                              X