No announcement yet.

My Axis lease!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

my place is in Brackettville as well....We have quite a few Axis but not as many as you do.
    But we don't have hardley any Turkey.... If you need help with those Thunder Chickens I'd be interested in paying for a Turkey only lease

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Stickers View Post
      my place is in Brackettville as well....We have quite a few Axis but not as many as you do.
      But we don't have hardley any Turkey.... If you need help with those Thunder Chickens I'd be interested in paying for a Turkey only lease

I’ll arm wrastle you for first dibs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Dang I need to find a lease with Axis like that! Congrats on the delicious steaks!

Comment

Originally posted by JMart76 View Post
          Dang I need to find a lease with Axis like that! Congrats on the delicious steaks!
          Just a though. But, you could introduce Axis to your property by buying from a trapper. Axis does cost $250, young bucks around $500. It would be a small investment, and in 5 years you would have something. Easier than raising cows, and the herd doubles every year.

Comment

Originally posted by SaintBlaise View Post
            Hey AC, looks like you are covered with Axis. Is there a supporting herd of trophy whitetail bucks? I'm on a new lease with Axis everywhere, but I only saw a few bucks over 4.5. We have plenty of WT does and young bucks, just not sure if the mature WT buck are there or left the area.
            I haven’t seen a whitetail buck over 3 1/2 years old. I do have 5-7 WT bucks coming to my feeders regularly. I’m hoping they will hang around a couple more years and develop into shooters.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
              I haven’t seen a whitetail buck over 3 1/2 years old. I do have 5-7 WT bucks coming to my feeders regularly. I’m hoping they will hang around a couple more years and and develop into shooters.
              Nice that you have options and hunt whitetails on other leases. If you were give an opportunity to only pick one, either whitetails or axis, which would you rather hunt and why?

Comment

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
                Nice that you have options and hunt whitetails on other leases. If you were give an opportunity to only pick one, either whitetails or axis, which would you rather hunt and why?

That’s a great question. I’ve thought about that a few times over the last two years. I think I would say Axis because they taste so much better. I’ve got lots whitetails shoulder and euro mounted. If I didn’t I might have a different answer. Fact is an Axis buck is much larger and the venison is superior in comparison to Whitetail.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post

That’s a great question. I’ve thought about that a few times over the last two years. I think I would say Axis because they taste so much better. I’ve got lots whitetails shoulder and euro mounted. If I didn’t I might have a different answer. Fact is an Axis buck is much larger and the venison is superior in comparison to Whitetail.
                  Thanks for the reply. Just out of curiosity, what has been your experience with axis movement and feeding??? Are they most active at night? Do they tend to hit your feeders at certain times like at the same time the feeders are set to go off or do they linger in at different times??

Comment

wow

Comment

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
                      Thanks for the reply. Just out of curiosity, what has been your experience with axis movement and feeding??? Are they most active at night? Do they tend to hit your feeders at certain times like at the same time the feeders are set to go off or do they linger in at different times??

Good question. Where I hunt them they are hard to pattern. I do have a few that are tuned into the feeder and show up right after it goes off. Others are completely random. I get them passing by my camera at all hours of the day and night. I have found the best way to draw them in is Alfalfa. When I put fresh Alfalfa out there the Axis are on it within a few hours. I have more activity at night during the warmer temperatures. Come fall, winter, and spring I see them more in the day

Comment

Where are all the pictures of the ones you killed ? Some nice ones in there.

Comment

Originally posted by critter69 View Post
                          Where are all the pictures of the ones you killed ? Some nice ones in there.

See post 98.

Also look here.

I will get back out there soon and hopefully add to the season two thread.

Comment

Well it’s been a while since I updated any pics of current deer. My son filled all my feeders and put out 3 feed blocks and two bales of Alfalfa for me Saturday. On Sunday both bales were gone! It didn’t take the Axis long to find them.

I’m still recovering from shoulder surgery. Hopefully I will be able to pull a bow back again this summer and stick one or two. I will post some game camera pics from the last two days. I also have a nice young whitetail who will be a real stud in a couple years. I was able to hold his sheds in my hands this weekend. I will post a pic of him too before he dropped them.

Comment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Man that’s awesome! That’s a hammer of a whitetail too! Good luck getting after them this Summer!

Comment

Working...
                                X