No announcement yet.

Devil's River

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe a hammock instead of a tent, if there’s not room for tent, and you have enough trees. They pack down pretty **** small.

Comment

Originally posted by critter69 View Post
      Maybe a hammock instead of a tent, if there’s not room for tent, and you have enough trees. They pack down pretty **** small.
      From what I recall, there are decent sized trees big enough to be able to string a hammock on the islands I stayed on, but the two Tpwd paddler camps I’ve stayed at don’t have much of anything bigger than a scrubby bush

Comment

Are you doing from Park to Park or G Baileys run?

Comment

I can’t imagine being in backcountry without planned/proper shelter, especially in October where weather can range from 100°-32° in a matter of hours.

Comment

I think by the time you pack a hammock, straps, bug net (mosquitos, flies, and kissing bugs can be bad), a quilt (in case it gets cold), and a tarp (for rain) you will find a small backpacking tent to be lighter weight and more compact.

When I went there was one in our group who brought a hammock and one night it was difficult to find suitable trees and he had to sleep further away from the rest of us and it took him more time to set up.

I like having a tent because I would bring my gear in with me to organize it.

If you have some downtime during the day, a hammock can be nice to nap in though.

Comment

It’s gonna be difficult to find suitable areas to put up a hammock legally. I have done the Devils and the Pecos twice. Tent is still the best option in the rivers in that country.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Tagged this one. It’s a bucket list

Comment

I'd rather have the "migrant" unzip my tent than my sleeping bag.

Comment

I used a tent. No idea why you wouldn’t. You can’t do a hammock anywhere that I could see and be legal. Plenty of room on the sandbars. I was not prepared enough for the cold at night. Boy did it get cold.

Comment

Originally posted by 150class View Post
                      Are you doing from Park to Park or G Baileys run?
                      Baker's to Pafford's crossing - mile 33.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Comment

We put in tomorrow morning at Baker's crossing, can't wait! Trying to cut down on my packing now We're using Amistad Expeditions for our shuttle and kayaks. Question - does anyone know if you typically have the same driver for both drop off and pick up? We are planning on tipping our driver, just wasn't sure if we should plan on tipping both times or at the end of our trip.

Comment

Did this about 12 years ago.

Tips:
                          - Dry sack for your stuff (obvious)
                          - Tent for sure
                          - Fold up air mattress as you will be sleeping on rock (thermarest)
                          - Wear quick-dry clothes
                          - Extra sunglasses (and a good strap in case you take a tumble)
                          - Good hat, sunscreen
                          - Lip balm (windy)
                          - Tweezers (for pulling out mesquite/prickly pear thorns)

Comment

Originally posted by JackRyan View Post
                            We put in tomorrow morning at Baker's crossing, can't wait! Trying to cut down on my packing now We're using Amistad Expeditions for our shuttle and kayaks. Question - does anyone know if you typically have the same driver for both drop off and pick up? We are planning on tipping our driver, just wasn't sure if we should plan on tipping both times or at the end of our trip.

We used Amistad Expeditions for our trip last June, we had the same driver going there and coming back. I think thats the way they try to do it, but it wouldn't hurt to ask whoever is dropping you off. We had DW as our driver, that guy knows a ton about the river and area.

Comment

Good Luck, I'll be on the river this weekend.

Comment

Working...
                              X