Chevy mechanics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chevy mechanics

Got a brake line leaking going to my left front wheel. Not sure exactly where its leaking. Truck is a 2002 Chevy Silverado 1500 Z71. How hard will it be to replace? Is it something that can be done at home?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Find where its leaking is step #1.

I'm sure you can just replace the line, but you will have to bleed brakes afterwards.

Youtube it.

Comment

Can do it yourself.....bleeding may need extra hand

Comment

Originally posted by Lungbustr View Post
        Find where its leaking is step #1.

I'm sure you can just replace the line, but you will have to bleed brakes afterwards.

Youtube it.
        This

Comment

When's the last time the break shoes were changed? The Piston could be extended and cracked? The banjo bolt could be loose?

Comment

Originally posted by twistedmidnite View Post
            When's the last time the break shoes were changed? The Piston could be extended and cracked? The banjo bolt could be loose?

Not sure. Had the truck a year

Comment

Make sure you get a line wrench

Comment

Originally posted by Pushbutton2 View Post
                Make sure you get a line wrench

Wanna help me[emoji16]

Comment

Are you friends with a mechanic? Have them auto bleed the brake system by hooking up a snap-on machine to the OBD-II port. I do this with my 97 and the brakes were practically new. This was a complete 180 from bleeding them manually. My mech didn’t charge me, but it probably would have cost $50-$100 to do that...takes 5 minutes of course.

Comment

Pinhole in the line is my guess [emoji39]

Comment

Originally posted by Pushbutton2 View Post
                      Pinhole in the line is my guess [emoji39]

Maybe[emoji16]

Comment

Did you look at it yet? The Pistons in the calipers are ceramic, they get cracked sometimes causing a leak. Just a option

Comment

After you find the leak and fix it, search the weeeb for "gravity bleed." This process makes it a one person job and it is a great time to flush out all the old, dark fluid and replace it with fresh fluid from a new can. Brake fluid is hygroscopic, absorbs water from the air over time and degrades.

The best part about gravity bleeding is that you can drink beer while you do it and you end up with great pedal feel.

This works for motorcycles, cars, and trucks, as long as the master cylinder is higher than the brake caliper bleed screw.

Comment

Originally posted by ctom87 View Post
                            Are you friends with a mechanic? Have them auto bleed the brake system by hooking up a snap-on machine to the OBD-II port. I do this with my 97 and the brakes were practically new. This was a complete 180 from bleeding them manually. My mech didn’t charge me, but it probably would have cost $50-$100 to do that...takes 5 minutes of course.
                            How does that work? You have to get the air out of the lines.

If you have to change the caliper, it's not that hard. I have a wheel cylinder to change this weekend.

Comment

If the rubber line is leaking I would suggest that you replace both . As rubber lines over time break down inside and one new line and one old line may end up giving you a deal where when you first touch the brake the truck will pull in one direction .

bleeding is simple and a gravity bleed well may not always work . However Its not hard to find any one to pump the brakes while you bleed them .

Super easy job , tons of your tube videos as well .. IF you where local I would have you bring it buy the shop we could get it down in under an hour . ( both lines and bled)

Comment

Working...
                              X