LRGV La Sal Del Rey Youth Hunt thread semi-live 20201204

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LRGV La Sal Del Rey Youth Hunt thread semi-live 20201204

Figured I'd start a thread for my boy's hunt as we learn our way through this first time experience for both of us. There will be some live moments here and there and I'll try to keep it updated as cell signal allows and there should be plenty of pics as we've got WiFi at the campgrounds.

This is my boy's last year as a Youth hunter so I plan to put in some serious effort nailing this down to set him up for success. This hunt has changed twice now from East Lake short notice Monday before the hunt to new boundaries shorter notice so all our prep and plans have changed so we're going in hot and figure it out as we go.

So here we go, red dotted lines are the new boundaries.
    Attached Files

Good luck on the trip and be safe!! I’m 20 minutes away if any help is needed just send a pm bud

Comment

Good luck. How many people hunting? Inside the red dotted line don’t leave you much room.

Comment

Originally posted by Zjesse22 View Post
        Good luck on the trip and be safe!! I’m 20 minutes away if any help is needed just send a pm bud
        Thanks for the offer that's awesome!

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
        Good luck. How many people hunting? Inside the red dotted line don’t leave you much room.
        8 kids drawn, there's 7 different emails on the USFWS email chain so guessing somebody's got two kiddos. Kinda worried about getting shot with all the young shooters grouped into a small area!

Comment

Good luck, following along

Hunt all day!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Quick pit stop for some Subway.

Originally posted by bigharge View Post
            Good luck, following along

Hunt all day!

Yessir we've got what we need to pack in lunch for a full day. I'm gonna bring a pillow and take a nap too, one of the luxuries of not being a trigger man! Lol
            Attached Files

Comment

Best of luck, I'll be following. I assume the Jan 1st East Lake hunt will be here as well as no new info has been sent to us yet. My two boys will be hunting it then.

Comment

Originally posted by Cutthroat View Post
                Best of luck, I'll be following. I assume the Jan 1st East Lake hunt will be here as well as no new info has been sent to us yet. My two boys will be hunting it then.
                There's differing tracts it seems. I'd go ahead and call them, they were very responsive and sent me the new info within an hour after I called.

Comment

When is the hunt scheduled for?

Good luck to the kiddos, hope to see many pics and updates if u can.
                  good luck

Comment

I should have checked first. I got an email with the same information you just posted. If your email had addresses for people with the last name 'Dunn' then the 7-8 people are spread over all 4 dates listed on the page. That would be nice to only have 2 groups per hunt.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat00 View Post
                      When is the hunt scheduled for?

Good luck to the kiddos, hope to see many pics and updates if u can.
                      good luck
                      Starts Friday the 4th and ends Sunday the 6th. We split this morning to go scout because of all the last minute changes. Kiddo doing remote school in the truck as we go. We'll get camp setup asap then do a quick preliminary scout this evening then both be working from the camper tomorrow morning, then we'll do a deeper scout tomorrow afternoon and I'll carry his tripod in and get it setup so Friday morning we can just follow our GPS track in and be ready by legal shooting time.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Good luck!!

Comment

Good Luck
                          I'll be following. My boys have 12/18-12/20 permits and we got moved over also. We have been to East Lake and know some spots so this will change things but I'm excited for them.

Comment

I wonder why they chose not to have it at the Schalaben unit like they change mine to?

Comment

Originally posted by careybirdwell View Post
                              I wonder why they chose not to have it at the Schalaben unit like they change mine to?
                              Yall probably shot all the dang Nilgai! Lol

I dunno but I was planning to setup a little off the Schalaben border as I figured they'd be used to ducking over to this area from hunting pressure, then they adjusted the borders and wiped out both of my chosen e-scouted spots.

Comment

Working...
                              X