Setting up Gun Trust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Setting up Gun Trust

So I ordered a trust and received the paperwork. I haven’t filled it all out yet. The person who set up my trust specifically told me to not add the suppressor to it until the ATF has approved everything.

So then I purchased a suppressor and it was shipped to my FFL. I have to go fill out my paperwork on it later. The FFL is saying that you can’t add the suppressor to my trust at a later date if it isn’t set up already.

Is that correct?

If you buy a suppressor as an individual it can never be added to a trust?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do not know.

I THINK you need the trust first and than buy the suppressor using the trust.

I THINK if you buy suppressor in your name you will need yo submit another atf tax stamp form to transfer the suppressor from individual to the trust.

I was looking at Trust couple of weeks ago. I read a bunch of info on this website
    Legally Own NFA Firearms Do you want to legally own NFA firearms, such as suppressors / silencers, short-barreled rifles, short-barreled shotguns, or fully-automatic weapons / machine guns? We can help you. Are you looking for an experienced Texas NFA gun trust attorney to answer your questions an

Hope this helps

Comment

I don't know if it's changed, but it used to be that you had to "fund" the trust when you created it. I used one of the guns that I figured I'd never sell to fund it. Once you owned the suppressor you could then add it to the trust's list of assets.

Comment

In the eyes of the law, YOU aren’t buying the suppressor, your trust is. The trust needs to be set up and funded before you file the form 4. Your trust will be the transferee and you, The grantor (and whoever else your trust designates), will be the responsible person. You could always buy the suppressor, file the form 4 as an individual, then transfer it to your trust, but that would be another $200 transfer (maybe two). And I believe it would have to go through an appropriate FFL.

The way my trust works, you assign the suppressor to the trust once you have it using an assignment form.

Caveat: I’m not a lawyer, but have some experience here.
        Last edited by Hunteraudit; 05-20-2020, 06:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bullseye07 View Post
          So I ordered a trust and received the paperwork. I haven’t filled it all out yet. The person who set up my trust specifically told me to not add the suppressor to it until the ATF has approved everything.

So then I purchased a suppressor and it was shipped to my FFL. I have to go fill out my paperwork on it later. The FFL is saying that you can’t add the suppressor to my trust at a later date if it isn’t set up already.

Is that correct?

If you buy a suppressor as an individual it can never be added to a trust?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So what parts have you not completed yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
          X