Anyone been to first point lately?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone been to first point lately?

We are gonna try first point this yr, any updates?

Friend of mine shot a 150" deer out there earlier this year, and saw another really nice 8 point after he killed the big deer.

Comment

Headed there Thursday. I can give you an update on how we do.

Comment

Please do, we are booked in jan and never been there. Was looking for a change of scenery.

Comment

Originally posted by KactusKiller View Post
          Please do, we are booked in jan and never been there. Was looking for a change of scenery.
          Hardest hunt you'll ever go on. The deer are super smart and pick up on the littlest of things. DO NOT over corn the roads on the corn route. They will not come to it until after you leave. These deer are used to trickles of corn and they will skirt it. Play the wind, its a must. Brush, brush, brush, brush, brush and more brush. Did I say brush? Lots. When you think you have enough, more brush. Do not leave any cut ends facing the road, they will avoid it like the plague. Also, make one shooting lane as small as you can get by with....hang a small mesquite limb over the opening as to avoid having a "black hole". The little leaves of the mesquite are easy to shoot through and you can still see fine. If you don't, they will see the hole and they will avoid it. I've hunted this ranch for years and I've killed one trophy buck, 152" (my pic is on their FB page). I've seen many bucks bigger than that, but something always happened. Trust me on the blind and you'll be good. You can also set dove decoys around your shooting hole, on the outside, it settles them down.

Good luck and be patient.....depending on how man days you are there, set up some cameras and see what's walking the roads. They are creatures of habit. Also ask Bo what he's seeing in the area. If he tells you a spot, trust him.

Comment

I’ve hunted brushy hill several times over the yr. we just wanted to try somewhere new this yr.

Comment

Looking forward to the hunt. Can you post some photos of how the rush and trees are looking when you go? And decent sized trees for a tripod along the roads?

Comment

Originally posted by RLB View Post
                Hardest hunt you'll ever go on. The deer are super smart and pick up on the littlest of things. DO NOT over corn the roads on the corn route. They will not come to it until after you leave. These deer are used to trickles of corn and they will skirt it. Play the wind, its a must. Brush, brush, brush, brush, brush and more brush. Did I say brush? Lots. When you think you have enough, more brush. Do not leave any cut ends facing the road, they will avoid it like the plague. Also, make one shooting lane as small as you can get by with....hang a small mesquite limb over the opening as to avoid having a "black hole". The little leaves of the mesquite are easy to shoot through and you can still see fine. If you don't, they will see the hole and they will avoid it. I've hunted this ranch for years and I've killed one trophy buck, 152" (my pic is on their FB page). I've seen many bucks bigger than that, but something always happened. Trust me on the blind and you'll be good. You can also set dove decoys around your shooting hole, on the outside, it settles them down.

Good luck and be patient.....depending on how man days you are there, set up some cameras and see what's walking the roads. They are creatures of habit. Also ask Bo what he's seeing in the area. If he tells you a spot, trust him.
                Which one is your deer?

Comment

Originally posted by pybuck View Post
                  which one is your deer?
                  [ATTACH]984891[/ATTACH]

I just looked, apparently it’s not on there anymore....killed him in 2016.

Comment

Originally posted by PSEBRONCO View Post
                    Looking forward to the hunt. Can you post some photos of how the rush and trees are looking when you go? And decent sized trees for a tripod along the roads?
                    I killed the above buck from a tripod.....the seat was no more than 5’ off ground and that’s about as much as you’re gonna be able to get. I’d take a pop-up, shovel, nippers, tri-pod, wire to tie off brush and your patience.

Comment

......and some good gloves to keep from getting all scratched up and stabbed.

Comment

Welding gloves are my friend down south. Covers the forearms a little.

Comment

Originally posted by kactuskiller View Post
                          welding gloves are my friend down south. Covers the forearms a little.
                          x 1,000,000

Comment

Is it still pretty green or is everything dead

Comment

Originally posted by RLB View Post
                              [ATTACH]984891[/ATTACH]

I just looked, apparently it’s not on there anymore....killed him in 2016.
                              Good looking buck right there.

Comment

Working...
                              X