Hagerman Hunting Program- Seeking Public Comments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HighwayHunter View Post
    I thought they opened up a new unit last year. Was gonna see how it looked. My mistake

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    There's a unit over around Nocona but I'm not sure if it ever opened for hunting. It was mentioned though.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Social media has ruined Hagerman, and TPWD will ruin it even more!

Comment

Originally posted by rossivey View Post
        There's a unit over around Nocona but I'm not sure if it ever opened for hunting. It was mentioned though.

Yeah thats in a different county not sure why they refer to it also as Hagerman, there is no new unit around Texoma just the same 6 it has always been.

Comment

Originally posted by bossbowman View Post
          Yeah thats in a different county not sure why they refer to it also as Hagerman, there is no new unit around Texoma just the same 6 it has always been.
          Right. It's in Cooke County but I guess since it's an NWR then they included it. Who knows.

Comment

I thought it was in Montague co.

Comment

Originally posted by bossbowman View Post
              I thought it was in Montague co.
              You're right, it is. Good catch lol

Comment

Ooops. Wrong thread.

Comment

Originally posted by bcmuzzy View Post
                  Social media has ruined Hagerman, and TPWD will ruin it even more!

I am not sure social media has ruined Hagerman, but it sure has increased awareness about hunting there. I think there will always be great bucks and good hunting at Hagerman. There is no better recipe for quality bucks than good genetics and low hunting pressure. The deer don't know anything about the internet or more people putting in for the draw. They are just going to keep doing their thing.

I got my IBEP card in the summer of 2000. Back then it was hard to find an IBEP course. There was nothing "online". I didn't even own a computer. I drove from Mesquite up to Pottsboro two days straight to take the course. At that time if you had your card and your proficiency test and applied you drew. I think I drew my first 4 or 5 years that I applied. About 2004 or 2005 more people were using the internet. You started hearing more about Hagerman here on TBH.

I saw a need to make the IBEP course more accessible. Later in 2000 I became an IBEP instructor. Me and two good friends went back up to Pottsboro and took the instructor course and started an instructor group in the DFW area. We held classes all over DFW for years. I told the guys in our instructor group we were shooting ourselves in the foot by making the course so easily available, but at the same time I felt easier access to the course was needed. As the years went by it has gotten more difficult to draw. You got to realize that nowdays there are 7 million people within 100 miles of Hagerman. Taking the IBEP Bowhunter Education course is easier than ever. By the way....it's not a "bowhunter safety course" it's a bowhunter education course. Safety is only a small part of the course. It always drove me crazy when people called it the bowhunter safety course. Almost as bad as referring to arrow spine (the stiffness of an arrow) as "arrow spline".[emoji3525] Ok. I digress.......So there are more bowhunters in the area than there were 20 years ago, it's easier to get your IBEP card, and social media has increased awareness about hunting at Hagerman which equates to a much more difficult successful draw percentage. I am not sure how the TPWD involvement is going to affect the process. I don't think anyone knows. We will soon see.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

If trump keeps opening up public land then we might have a few more honey hole spots come available.

Comment

I want to copy a post from above, "By the way....it's not a "bowhunter safety course" it's a bowhunter education course."

I'd rather keep the qualifying SHOOT rather than the requirement for the actual BH Ed course.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrowsmith View Post
                        I am not sure social media has ruined Hagerman, but it sure has increased awareness about hunting there. I think there will always be great bucks and good hunting at Hagerman. There is no better recipe for quality bucks than good genetics and low hunting pressure. The deer don't know anything about the internet or more people putting in for the draw. They are just going to keep doing their thing.

I got my IBEP card in the summer of 2000. Back then it was hard to find an IBEP course. There was nothing "online". I didn't even own a computer. I drove from Mesquite up to Pottsboro two days straight to take the course. At that time if you had your card and your proficiency test and applied you drew. I think I drew my first 4 or 5 years that I applied. About 2004 or 2005 more people were using the internet. You started hearing more about Hagerman here on TBH.

I saw a need to make the IBEP course more accessible. Later in 2000 I became an IBEP instructor. Me and two good friends went back up to Pottsboro and took the instructor course and started an instructor group in the DFW area. We held classes all over DFW for years. I told the guys in our instructor group we were shooting ourselves in the foot by making the course so easily available, but at the same time I felt easier access to the course was needed. As the years went by it has gotten more difficult to draw. You got to realize that nowdays there are 7 million people within 100 miles of Hagerman. Taking the IBEP Bowhunter Education course is easier than ever. By the way....it's not a "bowhunter safety course" it's a bowhunter education course. Safety is only a small part of the course. It always drove me crazy when people called it the bowhunter safety course. Almost as bad as referring to arrow spine (the stiffness of an arrow) as "arrow spline".[emoji3525] Ok. I digress.......So there are more bowhunters in the area than there were 20 years ago, it's easier to get your IBEP card, and social media has increased awareness about hunting at Hagerman which equates to a much more difficult successful draw percentage. I am not sure how the TPWD involvement is going to affect the process. I don't think anyone knows. We will soon see.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
                        i did a similiar thing drove from waco to cedar hill two days in a row to take the course mid 2000's but we weren't as lucky to draw as many times early as you, did. We drew late 2000's and that first hunt that place was much more magical than it was in subsequent draws, and people were telling us you should have seen in early 2000's, I can't even imagine. Although last year seg A was a small glimpse at the past but we hit the weather slap perfect, those were probably the best 3 days of deer season in north texas last year. All this said social media for sure hurt the place with the added pressure bordering the refuge, death by internet is real I know hunting and fishing places that have gotten publicity and gone to crap and places that people keep quiet about and they are as good or better than 15 years ago...

Comment

Working...
                        X