No announcement yet.

2019-2020 Hill Country Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I won't be able to make it to the lease again until the first weekend in July. (We pay the lease money then)

I'm sure hoping that we can pick up some rain between now and then. Our landowner said it's getting dry in a hurry but still green for now.

Last time I was down there I didn't get my trail camera's up and going. I'll do it next trip.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
      We finally got to go to our new lease and set up some feeders. Pretty green where we're at. Saw lots of critters. Had a bumper crop of agarita berries. Picked a bunch. Ate 'em all, so no jelly.

One thing we noticed about agarita berries.... You know how some agarita bushes are green and some are more blue colored leaves? The berries on the blue bushes were slightly bigger and sweeter than the green bush berries.

Shane I learned something new. I have saw these for years. I didn't know they were edible.

Comment

Originally posted by BradBryant1000 View Post
        Shane I learned something new. I have saw these for years. I didn't know they were edible.
        They're edible for sure. Pickable....now, that's a different story! Those spiny leaves protect the heck out of the berries. If you have a sheet or a tarp to lay out under the bush, you can then beat them with a stick to knock the berries off. We didn't have a sheet, so we just had to pick them by hand - carefully.

Comment

Our deer are looking good so far, the rain has helped a lot and they are tearing through the protein.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

They're edible for sure. Pickable....now, that's a different story! Those spiny leaves protect the heck out of the berries. If you have a sheet or a tarp to lay out under the bush, you can then beat them with a stick to knock the berries off. We didn't have a sheet, so we just had to pick them by hand - carefully.
            Wear work gloves!!

Comment

It looked like on the radar this morning that our lease (south of Mason) got a little rain this morning. Looked like a little heavier rain (not tons of rain though) went around our lease. I hope we get some more soon.

Comment

I'm definitely gonna get a bunch next time I'm able to do so. Gonna try to make jelly out of them. I'm actually looking forward to it.

Comment

Originally posted by BradBryant1000 View Post
                  It looked like on the radar this morning that our lease (south of Mason) got a little rain this morning. Looked like a little heavier rain (not tons of rain though) went around our lease. I hope we get some more soon.
                  Yes sir, I saw on the LCRA gauge some parts of the county got 3/4”. It died 1 mile to our west. Maybe next time!

Comment

Originally posted by Puncher51 View Post
                    Yes sir, I saw on the LCRA gauge some parts of the county got 3/4”. It died 1 mile to our west. Maybe next time!
                    Same here on the rain. We MIGHT have got a drop or two.
                    So so close this AM.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190604-083215_Samsung Internet.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	24580754

Looks like our lease is getting some pretty decent rain this morning.
                      Last edited by BradBryant1000; 06-04-2019, 07:38 AM.

Comment

We are almost up to 0.2”. I’ll take any moisture we can get right now.

Comment

Got back from Blanco county yesterday. Our pastures are in the bets shape i have seen them in a long time. We got about 1/2 inch wed/thurs before we got there and there were still some puddles in the roads. The hillsides were leaking water in some spots as well and all creeks full! We saw two fawns and probably 15 deer on an evening ride and they all looked super healthy. Put out about 3000 lbs of protein. Looking forward to getting cameras back out in august to see who did what.

Comment

The LCRA gauge shows 0.6” from last night, I’ll take it! Going to try and run down to the ranch for a quick trip this weekend.

Comment

I've been out at my lease since Monday and it poured down pretty good last night starting around 1am.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Headed to the ranch tomorrow. Finally got some of the showers too.

Comment

Working...
                                X