Subterranean Bow Blind Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Subterranean Bow Blind Build

Has anyone every done one? Looking for some of the "pitfalls" I might encounter building one.

My original idea was to make an octagon shaped blind out of hardi-siding, rent an excavator to dig the hole, put the blind in the hole and back fill it.

2nd idea was maybe purchase a 1500 gallon plastic water tank (6ft by 6ft) and put it in the ground. Just add windows and a door.

Yes it would be easier to just build an elevated bow blind, like I have done in the past, but building something a little different is interesting. Not to mention the deer will be slight confused! LOL

Water seems like the biggest concern, what do you have to do so the blind with not turn into a tub?

Comment

Snakes

Comment

[ame="https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6sMB8FGhT2Y&t=195s"]Pit Blind Intall - YouTube[/ame] 9 years ago installed and going strong no snakes and never flooded, built on a slight rise and in the sand. I have built 2 more since this one and harvested numerous animals with them, if they didn’t work African bow hunting operations wouldn’t use them.
        Last edited by coachwhip; 03-25-2023, 06:01 AM. Reason: Grammar

Comment

Pit Blind

Originally posted by coachwhip View Post
          Pit Blind Intall - YouTube 9 years ago installed and going strong no snakes and never flooded, built on a slight rise and in the sand. I have built 2 more since this one and harvested numerous animals with them, if they didn’t work African bow hunting operations wouldn’t use them.
          Nice!!!! Good to know that you have no issues in 9 years.

Comment

Make the window right above ground level so the entry will be below the exit and you’ll get better blood trails 😁👍

Comment

blind

this is mine, and never had a snake issue, but it will be a pond in it after a good rain.
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by junior View Post
                this is mine, and never had a snake issue, but it will be a pond in it after a good rain.
                Sweet setup.

Comment

The owner of the ranch I hunt has one that has been there since we started hunting there. He won’t go near it because he says it is infested with rattle snakes. He keeps saying g one day he is going to burn it.

Comment

We are in the process of putting one together now. We dug a 3' deep hole, lined it with concrete board, put concrete in the bottom of it and put an old galvanized water tank on top of it. I'll try and get a pic up when we get it completed. We're waiting on the windows and door now.

Comment

I had homemade ground blinds in south tx. Biggest threat was black widows & brown recluse spiders. Hated spraying anything because we strictly bow hunted. I decided to build platforms 5' high and used pop up blinds and some wood blinds.Pretty much solved that problem with only occasional wasps on very cold mornings on the wooden blinds. I was amazed how deer would not pay attention after a few days.

Comment

I have hunted out of a bunch of ground blinds in Africa. They dig them them deep enough that you can stand up and shoot with the window being at ground level. just a little dirt work around the oputside to make sure water doesn't run in to them and you are golden.
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0500.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	216.5 KB
ID:	24710232

Comment

Originally posted by coachwhip View Post
                          Pit Blind Intall - YouTube 9 years ago installed and going strong no snakes and never flooded, built on a slight rise and in the sand. I have built 2 more since this one and harvested numerous animals with them, if they didn’t work African bow hunting operations wouldn’t use them.
                          I never inew of a digger spade that mounts to a front loader. Sweet.

Concrete hardi board will absolutely rot especially if it gets wet continually. It gets brittle and crumbly.

Im curious if a pit blind is cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter from earth.

Comment

Does this help with scent control? Seems like a lot of work, but if you have the right equipment anything is possible.

Comment

Originally posted by cshunter View Post
                              Does this help with scent control? Seems like a lot of work, but if you have the right equipment anything is possible.
                              I would certainly think it help with controlling and containing scent. I like the idea because its different from any other bow hunting setup I have ever seen in Texas. And I like the idea what it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb.

I am going to do this. I will post pics as I go.

Comment

Working...
                              X