Just a thought

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just a thought

Just a thought that popped into my head in the form of a question though.

"Isn't (Instinctive) something you just naturally do without any forethought of doing it?"

If so, I'm an aimer, but I do it "Instinctively".

Rick

Lol! Yep! I instinctively look for a repeatable sight picture so I can relax and focus on my shot execution.

A funny thought for the instinctive crowd... do you see your bow's riser when you shoot? Well maybe, like me, you're actually a riser gapper!

Comment

I can go from split finger anchoring under my chin, to 3-under anchoring under my eye, and I can't NOT see the arrow sticking out there.

Actually I see all the way from by bow arm shoulder to the tip of the arrow, then of course beyond that to the target.

When I close my left eye I see from my bow arm elbow all the way out.

Rick

Comment

Let's get something straight here:

I'm not trying to denigrate those who are instinctive shooters.

I don't care how anyone does it, or say they do it as long as they are happy with the results.

I'm just saying (I Aim) "instinctively".

Rick

Comment

I use a shooting process for sure, but my (aim) is instinctive. My focus is on the spot solely, obviously I see the arrow out of my peripheral vision.

This one might open a can of worms ��.

Comment

It's a "discussion" you see all of the time. Let's give the brain enough credit to allow it adjust the gap without "conscious" thought of doing it while you focus on the spot.
            I'm sure it's more difficult for cross dominant eye people like Rick but we know he can shoot so . . .
            The end product is what is your answer if it works for you. Some guys are perfectly happy with 8" groups at X yards because that is the " size of a deers vitals".
            Me, I'm pretty sure I can hit the ground with my arrows.
            However one chooses to direct their arrows to a selected point of impact or even what they want to call it is personal. It's a discussion I get some entertainment out of though.

Sent from my Nokia XR20 using Tapatalk

Comment

It is always a fun conversation, for sure. I used to be a true instinctive aimer. Never thought about gap or anything, just looked till it felt right. yet I always was at least aware of my arrow and riser.

But then I found that practicing measuring my gap actually made my instinctive shooting better. I always gap now, for precision shooting. But to tell you the truth, under 10 yards, I don't have a good hard aim point. I know I'm aiming low, but I don't know the exact number of inches, nor do I really think about it.

Comment

Stacy Groscup said: "The arrow is like pointing your finger." I agree.

Byron Ferguson says: "Become the arrow." Again, I agree.

I say: "The arrow becomes my finger."

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by RickBarbee View Post
                  Stacy Groscup said: "The arrow is like pointing your finger." I agree.

Rick
                  I’m too new at this to comment but I find this very interesting.

Comment

Byron's book is some dry reading. Not sure what he really meant. Never got that far in it.
                    I will say my finger and my arrow are separate. I would never pick my nose with an arrow. [emoji15]

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
                      Byron's book is some dry reading. Not sure what he really meant. Never got that far in it.
                      I will say my finger and my arrow are separate. I would never pick my nose with an arrow. [emoji15]

What he means by "Become the arrow" is: you shoot until you learn the arc, and can see that arc at varying distances. Not that you know the distance, but it's all about how it looks to you.

Then, you lay the arrow/shot into that arc.

Rick

Comment

Working...
                      X