Reserved my 1st string....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reserved my 1st string....

Have had inconsistent grouping with my long bow. Read up and YouTubed about nock to serving fit. Decided my string/nock fit was too tight. Maybe not a lot, but still too tight.

3Rivers sent me a BearPaw serving tool and a selection of Halo serving material. Using my dial micrometers and a few experiments I figured to try .021" Halo. And...Waw Lah!

Took me a while. Getting that first few loops is a bit tricky, but finally got it done.

Now I have a nice soft click instead of the loud hard click. And the groups at 20-yards shrank from a frustrating 6" shotgun pattern to much more satifsying 3" group when I do my part.

I did not think nock fit was that important. But there it is!

It is all part of the sport. Glad that you took the plunge. Now maybe learn how to twist up a string...

Comment

Originally posted by 60 Deluxe View Post
      It is all part of the sport. Glad that you took the plunge. Now maybe learn how to twist up a string...
      Eventually, perhaps. But strings seem to last a long time. I'll likely try wood arrows first, and that may take all the patience I have.

Comment

Lol. With my strings the carbon nocks fit well. But I had to go to T nocks on my wood arrows to keep them on the string during my draw.

Sent from my Nokia XR20 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by SJP51 View Post
          Eventually, perhaps. But strings seem to last a long time. I'll likely try wood arrows first, and that may take all the patience I have.
          You are not shooting enough. I can wear out a string in about six months.

Comment

Different serving materials last different amounts of time. I use Halo and usually have to replace my string for some other reason before the serving wears out!!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Nock fit is probably the most common issue producing bad arrow flight, yet it is also probably the most overlooked.

Rick

Comment

I shoot every day (20 to 30 arrows). But not always the same bow. My wife thinks that's all I ever do!

Comment

I re-serve all of my strings. I learned all the knots in the 90’s when I was a teenager and worked on my own equipment back then. Lately I have my string builder send the strings without serving or puffs. I install .021 Halo serving and make my own puffs too.
                  I can’t stand a lose fitting knock.

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
                    Different serving materials last different amounts of time. I use Halo and usually have to replace my string for some other reason before the serving wears out!!!!

Bisch

I usually use Halo. It is the three or four inches of strands just below the serving that gets ratty first. I probably change mine more than they need.

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post

Bisch

This. That said 10-15 thousand shots I replace just because

Sent from my Nokia XR20 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                      X