No announcement yet.

Africa 2024 caliber

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wouldn't go to the trouble of taking my own gun/guns. Ask your outfitter to loan or rent you whatever he recommends.

Comment

! have never gun hunted over there but have been dozens of times with a bow, I like Trad bows and Trad guns. I would take a 757 Mauser for the smaller stuff and a 375 H&H for the bigger

Comment

You are going to Africa, have fun with it. Buy a new gun lol

Comment

My dad shot his Kudu 4 times with a 300WBY Magnum, all 4 hit “kill zone”. He still jumped a fence and ran about 40 more yards before he gave up the ghost!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

300 win mag with 180 gr sst. That’s the second gun we used over there; they called it the hammer for a reason. the first was a 308 with some psp and it worked with perfect shots, but I wasn’t a fan. My wildebeest took it and never stopped

Comment

I used my 7mm RUM hand loaded with Barnes 160 gr TSX bullets on my last trip over there.
              13 plains game animals were taken with that rifle, all of them in the OP’s list except for the Impala plus a few other species.
              A 308 or 270 is plenty of gun with the right bullet. The most important thing is bullet placement, bullet placement and bullet placement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I've only been over a couple times and I used a longbow. If I was going rifle hunting I would take my .375 H&H and if I could find one, a .300H&H.

Comment

Used my PH's 1980's era Sauer bolt action rifle in 30-06 and took Sable (110 yards) and Kudu (280 yards) with single shot right where he told me to shoot. 300WM will give more margin for error.

When I head back I'll be taking a 375 H&H only because Eland is on the table. Other caliber will be 6.5 PRC as I'm after some smaller game and possible further distances.

Comment

300 win mag is the perfect plains game rifle.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
                      I wouldn't go to the trouble of taking my own gun/guns. Ask your outfitter to loan or rent you whatever he recommends.
                      Taking your own rifle(s) is a quarter of the fun. . I have used PH rifles before, but especially for dangerous game there is more confidence (and satisfaction) in using your own gun. Headed over this weekend and the money/hassle on bringing in my .458 Lott with my load/ammunition and LOP is worth it!

Depending on the outfitter/PH, their camp rifles may be awesome with great glass or could be a rusted/pitted mess with a Tasco 3x9 with loose crosshairs. I have seen it both ways.

Comment

I’ve never hunter Africa but if I did, I’d would want something bigger than 308 or 270 especially for the bigger animals on your list. I’d be taking a 300 win mag at a minimum.

Comment

Just got the case down and put a final wipe down on ol’ painless. .458 Lott DGR rifle from AHR is ready to go! To the OP, again, taking your own rifle is part of the fun!
                          Attached Files

Comment

I’d use whatever PH and buddy suggest. Depending on where you are going many shots aren’t that long. Just use right bullet and know where vitals are and you’re good to go.

Comment

Originally posted by RR 314 View Post
                              Just got the case down and put a final wipe down on ol’ painless. .458 Lott DGR rifle from AHR is ready to go! To the OP, again, taking your own rifle is part of the fun!
                              That’s getting business done in style!! Very nice rifle,, with some thump!

Comment

Originally posted by RR 314 View Post
                                Wow, that thing is beautiful

Comment

Working...
                                X