Public Hunting other than TX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Public Hunting other than TX

Not sure what the public opportunities in other states are like and hoping someone can put me in the right direction. I have heard some states have better draw success rates for out of state residents than others.

Anyone wanna point me in the right direction? Thinking Elk/Deer. Open to NM, CO, Wyoming, Montana, Idaho..

There are a lot of options in Colorado and a lot of different types of tags, some units are more popular than others but guaranteed you can get over the counter tags somewhere at any point this season.

I have put in the past two years and been drawn both times first year was 4th season rifle and this year I got drawn for muzzleloader mule deer I also hunted OTC archery elk both years.

Out-of-state licenses for Elk are 650 bucks and they suck it out of your account the second you get drawn unlike Texas where you have to manually go pay for your permit if you get drawn through tpwd.

They used to take the money up front and make you float it for a few months and then give it back to you if you didn't get drawn but they just changed it last year where there's a small fee to enter the drawing and you pay the license when you get drawn.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Each state is completely different. Go on each states department of fish and game websites and start reading and taking notes cause some of it can get confusing. Once you start you will be opening a can of worms and if you like it you’ll get sucked down the worm hole that you will obsess over all year long.

Comment

I happen to love it here in Idaho, as 70% of our lands are public. Nice mix of USFS, BLM, State, and ACCESS YES private property enrolled for Public access.

The Unit I hunt in Arizona is 90% public land.

In Wyoming, most of the areas I hunt are public, State Trust, or WMA.

Comment

Just depends upon what species and weapons you desire. New Mexico really restricts the nonresident tag numbers whereas Colorado and Idaho have OTC options for elk.

Comment

There's already tons of info online. Check out the elk different states websites. You'll be confused at first but it's a lot simpler than it looks. Like someone else said, try to narrow down a species first, then a state. It'll make it a lot easier.

Comment

I put in for dozens of tags all over the west (and then some). All of the tags are on public. The hours of homework and research is in the hundreds. There are some easy OTC hunts that have decent success. Colorado probably has the best public, nonresident, OTC options. Let me clarify - for elk. Mule deer tags are tough to get on public, and easy to get on private. Bear tags are draw but easy. Antelope are otc for archery and draw for the rest. Pick a species and I’ll point you in the right way.

Comment

I use gohunt for my research. I used to do it myself but the data is summarized in an order that allows query. Plus if I have questions they have staff that will answer. As said, Colorado probably has the best nonresident elk tags for the price. If your looking for pronghorn go to Wyoming. There are other states that are competitive on elk. Gohunt has a summary that goes over the different state options by species.

Comment

Just about every state has way more public opportunities than TX so it's all downhill from here baby! lol

Gohunt is an awesome resource, well worth the sticker price.

Comment

Originally posted by Jspradley View Post
                    Just about every state has way more public opportunities than TX so it's all downhill from here baby! lol

Gohunt is an awesome resource, well worth the sticker price.
                    Ain’t that the truth.

Comment

Warning, once you hunt out west you'll be ruined for setting in a stand over a feeder. I've only just now come back to hunt in Texas because my two youngest are now hunting. Even with that were making plans to burn my pronghorn points next year. Probably elk up in unit 12 again in Co as well. Easy draw but hard hunt depending on which season you pick.

Comment

Can you explain GoHunt a little more? What do you use it for, cost, how has it helped you etc
                        Last edited by AgTag23; 12-21-2018, 08:00 AM.

Comment

I really appreciate the info thus far.

So narrowing down to Elk, what next? Based off limited research, I would say Colorado or Idaho would be an easier bet. My goal is to do a week long trip with my just me and my wife. We are both young and have the ability to cover lots of ground. After watching most of the MeatEater series on Netflix, we are both itching to get out texas and try another adventure.

Comment

Originally posted by Raypo View Post
                            I put in for dozens of tags all over the west (and then some). All of the tags are on public. The hours of homework and research is in the hundreds. There are some easy OTC hunts that have decent success. Colorado probably has the best public, nonresident, OTC options. Let me clarify - for elk. Mule deer tags are tough to get on public, and easy to get on private. Bear tags are draw but easy. Antelope are otc for archery and draw for the rest. Pick a species and I’ll point you in the right way.
                            OTC meaning you can walk into a sporting goods store, get a tag, and essentially head to the woods?

Comment

Originally posted by jnd1959 View Post
                              I use gohunt for my research. I used to do it myself but the data is summarized in an order that allows query. Plus if I have questions they have staff that will answer. As said, Colorado probably has the best nonresident elk tags for the price. If your looking for pronghorn go to Wyoming. There are other states that are competitive on elk. Gohunt has a summary that goes over the different state options by species.
                              2nd this. Gohunt is the way to go. I won a $500 bipod this year, so the membership has paid for itself for the next 4 years now.

Comment

Working...
                              X