Rv electric plug question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rv electric plug question

Got on a lease and need to move the plug about 80 ft. I'm gonna pit a junction box where the plug is now and run another 80 ft of wire for the new plug. Its a 30 amp, has 10/3 wire, from the junction on will 10/3 still be ok for the camper? Don't have the cash to buy all new wire. Don't wanna hurt the ac r anything else on the camper. Total run is probably 175 ft from the breaker.

No. Total circuit length of 175, at 120V/30A requires #6AWG copper and that at 5% voltage drop which is allowed but not recommended.

Even at 120V/20A it requires #8AWG copper.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

If I use #6 from the junction box would it be OK, are would it need a whole new wire

Comment

I also have a 75ft rv extension cord I bought. Would I be able to use the cord instead of running the extra wire?

Comment

If you're gonna be on the place long enough, you need to wire as Mike d stated.

Could always run triplex and take it with you

I have a 45 foot run at the lake for a 50a and it's #6 x3 and an 8 ground.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
          Last edited by Quackerbox; 03-29-2023, 08:08 PM.

Comment

Looked up 6/3, holly **** it's expensive.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Tyrex750 View Post
                Looked up 6/3, holly **** it's expensive.
                Look at the cost of the RV A/C and other electrical component replacement and it isn't so expensive. I ran 6/3 for a circuit a total of 120 feet and am still careful with what I run at the same time.

Comment

Move the trailer closer?

Comment

I'm gonna look at it this weekend and see what's available

Comment

PM sent

Comment

Replied

Comment

Your 75ft extension cord is probably 10AWG as well, so it's not any better than running 10AWG permanent wire.

You might could replace the 30 amp breaker with a 15 amp breaker. Voltage drop at 175ft would still be slightly over 5%, which isn't recommended but might be ok for a deer lease. Depending on your AC, you might trip the breaker. I can run the AC and a few LED lights in my camper on a 15A circuit at the house, but it will trip if anything else is running.

10AWG wire at 30A should be limited to less than 80ft; calculated from a simple voltage drop calculator... http://www.electrician2.com/calculat...r_initial.html

Comment

So would 6/3 be the best route if I keep it at that distance? Going in the morning to look things over. Gonna look for a closer spot if possible.

Comment

I have some #6 and 8 leftover at limestone. It's all stranded. And a few hundred feet of conduit.

I'd have to measure the wire to see length

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X